1lb of extract per gal of wort or per gal of pre-boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLA51

Reaction score
Hi guys

I know the rule of thumb is 1lb of extract per gallon of water but is that post boil wort gallon or pre boil gallon? I am starting with around 3 gal of water to finish up with about 2.5 gal of wort. Should I be using 2.5 lb or 3 lb of extract? (I am using DME)

Thanks

Personally, I am a 'do whatever makes brewing easier and more efficient' brewer. Since my DME only comes in 1lb and 3lb bags I would always just buy the three pounders and adjust my recipes accordingly.

My advice, don't worry about exact numbers. Brew with what's easy!

There is no rule and you would add what would be appropriate for the beer you are making. Yes, a lot of extract recipes do often work out to about 1lb of DME per gallon, and that means total gallons not pre/post boil (eg. 5 gallons and 5lbs DME). But again, it depends on what you are trying to achieve - ie. Gravity, SRM, ABV etc. Heavier beers with more alcohol will require more extract for example.

Rev.

Back