Beer in London

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkultra69

Reaction score
Heading to London at the end of next month and one of the many things I'm excited about is the beer/ pubs. So for the people that live over there or have been in and around London, what's some good beer places? I'll be staying in south kensington and we will not be renting a car so some what close to a tube stop would be good. Also, what are some good beers I should be on the look out for? Really any and all beer info I could get be for I go would be great. The travel guides just don't give to much info, other than pups are cool you should go to one. Any ways thanks.

Don't walk into any pups, they might bite.

There should be a couple of bars within walking distance. Go to any, and work your way along the line of taps. Stick to draft, and you will find lots of variety.

Don't expect any wheat or Belgians, just Mild, Bitter, Pale Ale, ESB, and IPAs, and if you are lucky, a Porter or Barley Wine. You probably could get a Budweiser, but it will be in a can and will cost a small fortune. Wrong part of the country for Owd Roger (Burton) or Old Peculier (Masham), but if you find either on draft, give them a try ...... but be careful, they are potent.

in the south kensington area, go to janet's bar and the queen's arms. janets is a little quieter, but still not quiet. janet will talk to you, and is very educated; she's done the law thing, etc. queen's arms gets very loud but fun; depends on how late you get there

Thanks for the in put. Ill try to avoid the pups:drunk: Was posting from my iphone on a pretty bumpy ferry ride on the way home from work. Milds and bitters are some of my favorite styles so looking forward to those. Are pubs family friendly for the most part? Ill be traveling with my wife and 7 year old daughter.

Love Queens Arms it was actually pretty quiet last time I was there not too crowded.

If you're a poker player by chance I highly recommend the Grosvenver Victoria on the east side of Kensington. Quite possibly the worst poker players I've ever played against...easy money.

I stayed there for two nights a couple of years ago.

The Churchill Arms was a Fuller's pub I liked a lot.

The Earl of Lonsdale is a really cool Sam Smith pub (not common in London) with about 10 hand pumps. Highly recommended.

You won't have a hard time finding a good beer though.

I would recommend:

'Cask' in Pimlico, not too far from South Ken - LOTS of taps and a massive beer menu, lots of imported bottles from Belgium (and the US but probably at about 10 times the cost you guys over there get it for!)

'Drafthouse' nr Clapham Junction - there are three of these around London but the Clapham one is the only one I have been to. Again, good selection of draft / cask beers

'The Swan' in Hammersmith. Probably about 10 different cask beers from all over the country - they generally have a few on tap permanently and many guest ales. Was there after work yesterday evening in fact...

The White Horse, on Parson's Green, usually has a decent list of beers on. You go to the Parson's Green tube stop and it's very near there. When I exit, I head to the right, but I suppose it depends on which exit or whatnot. It's ON Parson's Green though. They're not a tied house, so you can get a range of beers there and they usually have some decent indy stuff.

Pick up a CAMRA (campaign for real ale) pub guide. It will let you know what pubs in whatever area you are in have real ale. Definitely worth the trouble.

Be prepared, many pubs over there are in buildings that were built before the US Constitution was written. That being said, some places still don't refergerate the beer. Its kept in the cellar at about 55 degrees, so needless to say, most Americans don't like it.
I personally love the variety on tap in English pubs. Everything from ciders to Stouts.

The one pub I used to hang out in when I was at RAF Fairford years ago, used to make what they called diesel fuel, which was .5 pint of beer (Carling IIRC, but may have been Harp...I was pretty drunk most of the time:drunk:) and .5 pint Stongbow cider with a dash of what I think was raspberry cordial (I think that's what she told me, its been like 12 years).
The raspberry stuff turned it kinda red hence the diesel fuel name. That was some of the best stuff ever! :rockin:
One thing's for sure, you'll have fun trying the different beers there!:mug:

Be prepared, many pubs over there are in buildings that were built before the US Constitution was written. That being said, some places still don't refergerate the beer. Its kept in the cellar at about 55 degrees, so needless to say, most Americans don't like it.
I personally love the variety on tap in English pubs. Everything from ciders to Stouts.

The one pub I used to hang out in when I was at RAF Fairford years ago, used to make what they called diesel fuel, which was .5 pint of beer (Carling IIRC, but may have been Harp...I was pretty drunk most of the time:drunk:) and .5 pint Stongbow cider with a dash of what I think was raspberry cordial (I think that's what she told me, its been like 12 years).
The raspberry stuff turned it kinda red hence the diesel fuel name. That was some of the best stuff ever! :rockin:
One thing's for sure, you'll have fun trying the different beers there!:mug:

Diesel is made with blackcurrant juice, though a lot of pubs wont sell it. If you ask them nicely and show that your not a idiot drinker they will serve it to you. There are many combinations to making it but I find the best is .5 lager + .5 sweet cider and a shot of blackcurrant juice.

If you only go to one pub make sure its the Jerusalem Tavern.

Contact the West London Branch of CAMRA and Im sure they will help you out. CAMRA is a top organisation, all members are nice people (Ive never met a bad one) and there is a good chance someone will accompany you on a tour if you ask.

If you only go to one pub make sure its the Jerusalem Tavern.

Contact the West London Branch of CAMRA and Im sure they will help you out. CAMRA is a top organisation, all members are nice people (Ive never met a bad one) and there is a good chance someone will accompany you on a tour if you ask.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I looked up CAMRA on the trusty iphone, and they have an app. More of a pup guide, but its something I can carry around with me.

One day I WILL get to England for a pub tour. I hope you enjoy your trip sir.
Pez.

Diesel is made with blackcurrant juice, though a lot of pubs wont sell it. If you ask them nicely and show that your not a idiot drinker they will serve it to you. There are many combinations to making it but I find the best is .5 lager + .5 sweet cider and a shot of blackcurrant juice.

Thank you! Hopefully in a few months I'll be making some lager, and the wife will be making cider. Now I just need to find the blackcurrant!

There are a ton of good pubs in Central London, I reccomend the Samuel Smiths branded one (forgot the name) in Fitzrovia on Charlotte Street W1 and the Rising Sun (right around there on Tottenham Court Road).

Make sure to try some Adnam's Broadside. IMO, the best Bitter in England.

I'm from North London so can't shed much light on pubs in the West, but in North/Central I can strongly recommend the Bree Louise in Euston (always has fantasic beers from a wide range of London microbreweries, plus they serve good pies), The Euston Tap in Euston (a new discovery for me - very small pub but very large range of beers from all over the world), and further afield I love the Southampton Arms in Kentish Town (very cosy small pub with local beer and cider). Also heard good things about The Jolly Butchers way out in Stoke Newington, but haven't made it out there myself yet.

Three to try;

The Rake‎
14a Winchester Walk
City of London SE1 9AG
020 7407 0557

The rake is next to another must see, Borough Market. An ever changing draft selection 3 fridges full of bottled beer, and more in the cellar. Borough Market also has a good craft beer market "stall", only open Thurs, Fri and Sat tho.

The Porter House‎
21-22 Maiden Lane
London WC2E
020 7379 7917

Near Covent Garden, interesting selection of world beers, some own brew (made in their Ireland brewpub / micro brewery). Not bad for the usual suspects... not as good as the Rake.

The Harp‎
47 Chandos Pl
City of London WC2N 4HS
020 7836 0291

Now this tiny little place is a real Jem, good selection of Draft beers, but peer over the bar and look into the fridge... Those boxes and demi johns you see there, looking all innocent and unassuming... Thats right! Cider! Scrumpy! Perry! The real west country stuff made from apples... well mainly apples! Probably the best selection in London if not in the South of England. Be warned, not for the feint of heart, or those with too much blood in their Alcohol system!

If you get hunrgy afterwards try Wahacca, just down the street. Mexican street food... and enough tequila to make anyone a happy bunny. The taster menus are reasonably priced!

Forget all you have read, The Mitre, Ely Court, Hatton Garden, is the best I have found in 20 years of researching the topic in London, nearest tube Chancery Lane. There's a sense of discovery when you find the Olde Mitre Tavern. It's hidden down an alleyway between 8 and 9 Hatton Garden, marked by an old crooked street lamp and a small sign in the shape of a bishop's mitre, the arched alleyway entrance has a sign above stating "Ye Olde Mitre 1546". Despite these clues many who work in the area don't know it exists.

This tiny pub is a real hidden gem. It has two downstairs bars and a further room upstairs

Back