clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red

Reaction score
ok so i have 2 fermenteres now(moving up in the world), so i can leave them clear longer in primary. just wondering if tem is as important in clearing as it is in fermentation. i live in a hot hot climate and have to use wet towels and ice to get fermentation temps below 24 degrees(75 farenhiet?). do i need to continue this when fermentation is done and beer is just clearing up? if i dont use ice and towles it sits at about 28(85ish?)

The beer will clear better in cooler temps. Refrigerator temps for 2-3 days combined with gelatin will give you crystal clear beer. I've not tried gelatin in warmer temps to see what it would do.

I wouldn't let it get above 70 personally,which is a good thing because you want your Diacytel rest.But after that, like IP said, if you can cold crash at fridge temps or lower,Ideally 34ish, your beer will clear better.

so by "cold crash" u mean after a few days clearing put into the fridge, then take out for couple, then back into fridge? repeating this process for 2-3 weeks?

You want to wait until your beer has fully fermented and had some time to sit, at least 3 weeks, then a few days before you bottle or keg,cold crash it.

ok so cold crashing is just the final chill then?

so it is not good to shove the whole fermenter in the fridge while it clears for 3 weeks? (ive got the room to do so) this would kill the yeast and stop it from clearing yeah?

If you put it in the fridge before it is done fermenting the yeast will just go dormant and fall out, but they would start fermenting again once they got back up to the proper temp.

In my process I primary for two weeks in the mid 60's, then rack to a Secondary for 1-2 weeks at whatever room temperature is, then I cold crash for 2-3 days, then bottle. If I had two Primaries i would just leave them in Primary for 3-4 weeks, then cold crash.

Back