First brew of the season!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avwfreak

Reaction score
Last night I made an IPA. I also attempted something new for me.

I tried a partial mash in my own little fashion. I have my 5 gallon pot, filled her up with 3 gallons and put in a large mesh bag with 3lbs of 2-row, .75 40l, .75 Munich and .25 Carapils. Of course the bulk of the fermentables is 7.33lbs of Pale Malt Extract.

I steeped the grains for 30 minutes at 153 degrees then proceeded (at the best of my ability) to hold the grain bag over the pot and poured cups of 170 degree water over the grain. About 1 gallon or so.

My question is, based on the ingredients listed, what should my O.G. be? I couldnt test it because I dont do a full boil and have no tool to draw some wort from the fermenter.

This will all work out ok I hope!

The hops I used are 2oz 10.1% A.A. Centenial, 2oz 6.1% Cascades and I have two 1oz 6% AA Northern Brewer Plugs for the dry hop during secondary fermentation.

I will let you all know how it comes out! I am just so happy for my first brew since April!

I don't know if you have used plugs for dry hopping before,but you may want to get some pellets for that.Even if you use a hop bag they tend to soak up a lot of beer.sorry for the :off:

Thanks for the insight. I have only used pellets for dry hopping before for my Belgian Wit. I definitly dont want any beer wasted so, I will check out the pellets instead. Thanks again!

Back