Partial Mash with RICE?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohrinet

Reaction score
Brewed a pale ale a few weeks ago, based off of a recipe I had made a few batches before where we used Rice Syrup Solids. The original recipe called for 1 lb of RSS (roughly $5). Figuring I could see how to make the beer a bit less expensive, I did my reading on how to use rice instead of rice syrup solids.

It seems it is smarter (read: easier) to use minute rice, but having to add it directly to the mash.

Is there an alternative to this for someone who is extract brewing/partial mashing?

I used Basmati rice, and cooked the sh*t out of it. Making a mushy pot of wet rice, added that to the boil water, brought it to temperature, and steeped my grains. After which, removed the rice (which was in a "hop bag") and the grain bags, and brewed regularly after that...OG came out at 55, not the 60+ that was expected, making it seem like the rice had little to no effect on the gravity.

Any thoughts? Or different ideas to replace RSS with something cheaper that might do the trick. Perhaps this turns into something that I just use more Ex. Light DME, but ideas are appreciated.

Bottling tonight, looking for my excited pants!

What did you mash it with? If you were using your full boil volume to put the grains in, it sounds more like you were steeping and not doing an actual partial mash. Can you post the recipe?

Did you match the rice with an equal weight of 2-row in the mash? And did you actually do a mash, not just steep?

Latest posts

Back