How hot should a compressor get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesfet

Reaction score
Reading these forums seems to reveal that the Sanyo 4912 is the most popular mini fridge to convert to a kegerator. Luckily I found a used 4910M on craigslist for $100. This was my first time using craigslist, and the picture of the fridge looked good. I was told the fridge was "clean" but I quickly found out that some people's definition of clean is very loose. The fridge did not smell, but everything was sticky, like a soda exploded in it or something. I was a little mad at myself because I still paid $100 for it :eek: but after I got home I found out it is actually a 4912 not a 4910, so I guess its a little newer than I thought. Also it cleaned up very well with hot water and a little bleach.

I had to lay it on its side to transport it, which made me a little worried about oil seeping into the coils. After letting it sit over night I let it run, and it works well. I can get it to about 35 deg F on setting 5, and I think it might get to freezing if I turn it up a little more. However when I put my hand on the compressor after a few minutes of being on it feels very hot. I cant keep my hand on it for more than about 5 seconds. If anyone else has this fridge, is this normal? Does your compressor get this hot? I pointed a fan at the compressor and this does keep it cool even when running.

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't burn me, its just uncomfortably hot. I was just worried that the compressor could be damaged when I drove it 30 miles over crappy Massachusetts roads while it was on its side.

It cools great though, time to convert it to a kegerator! :mug:

Back