Adding gelatin to keg, carbed or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drays14

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've done around 20 batches this year (first yr brewer) and I have yet to use gelatin. The haze never really bothered me because the taste has been great. But when I go out and order a beer and see how clear it is, I get a little jealous! So I'm going to start using gelatin, my question is when I add it to the keg, I know the beer needs to be really cold, should I hold off on carbing it until I added gelatin, or can the beer be carbed up ahead of time? I'm thinking I'll just get it really cold, hit it with gelatin, purge the oxygen out of the keg and carb up while the gelatin is working. Or should I wait and do them in different steps?

I've never added after putting on co2. Typically I stick ferment bucket into keezer for about 24-48 hrs then I rack to keg, pour in the gelatin, and put on co2. If you can't get the beer cold prior to kegging I would imagine fining would still work after some co2 is in solution?

I always add after the initial burst carb of 40 PSI for 24-36 hours, then add gelatin and turn down to serving. Clear and carbonated within a day or two.

I add it the day that I hook the keg up to gas. Works fine. I have never tried after it was fully carbonated.

Back