Sam Adams New Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great find, very interesting article.

I found this information on the Weihenstephan web page:

Working in tandem for almost two years, the brewers from Samuel Adams and Weihenstephan are perfecting an innovative beer style that explores new brewing techniques within the boundaries of beer law. Their yet-to-be-named crisp, pale brew is slated to debut in the United States and Germany next spring in cork-finished bottles. This effervescent, Champagne-like beer will weigh in at more than 10 percent alcohol by volume, yet remain very dry and crisp, shattering the preconceived notions of what can be done following the Reinheitsgebot Law.
The Weihenstephan/Samuel Adams beer marries new thinking from the world of American “extreme beer” with tradition and respect for the Reinheitsgebot, a German beer purity law that dates back to 1516 and states that all beer must be brewed using only the four ingredients: malt, hops, water, and yeast. By tapping 1000 years of brewing knowledge and coupling it with American innovation, the brewers at Samuel Adams and Weihenstephan will brew a complex, higher alcohol beer of distinction with only the four classic ingredients. This new beer will be ready to share with beer aficionados throughout the world in the spring of 2010.

http://www.brauerei-weihenstephan.de/index.php?page=home_2_1&PHPSESSID=aa3d7c0fa2f337aa8b59bf59875b84d9

This is pretty exciting, I'm looking forward to the release.

Just a complete guess, I am betting that since they are doing the cork thing and using wine/champagne comparisons, that they may use the same price range and go $10 - $20 a bottle for a 750ml.

Cant wait to try it. Love weihenstephan's hefe and like a lot of the SA stuff. Should be an interesting brew.

Just a complete guess, I am betting that since they are doing the cork thing and using wine/champagne comparisons, that they may use the same price range and go $10 - $20 a bottle for a 750ml.

Thats a solid bet, I can't wait for this Sam Adams rarely disappoints (Except the blackberry, nay on the blackberry).

This is very cool, this is the sort of experimentation that's really interesting. I'm betting this beer will need to be aged awhile, a cellaring beer.

I was watching something on the history channel about beer that had a Sam Adams segment where they were talking about some new beer they were making that was like 18%. It talked about how they had conditioned special yeast for years to get it to stay alive in that much alcohol. Sam Adams does some pretty cool stuff

I was watching something on the history channel about beer that had a Sam Adams segment where they were talking about some new beer they were making that was like 18%. It talked about how they had conditioned special yeast for years to get it to stay alive in that much alcohol. Sam Adams does some pretty cool stuff

The beer they're talking about is Utopias. That's a pretty old episode of "Modern Marvels" that they show about 2 to 3 times a year.

Since the new brew is going to be at least based on the Rheinheitsgebot, I imagine it will be something like a Belgian Blond, but the alcohol will come from specially-bred yeast that survive in higher alcohol environments. Just a guess. :mug:

Sounds very similar to a slightly higher alcohol Tripel

Since the new brew is going to be at least based on the Rheinheitsgebot, I imagine it will be something like a Belgian Blond, but the alcohol will come from specially-bred yeast that survive in higher alcohol environments. Just a guess. :mug:

FWIW, most any ale yeast can survive up to 10%.

This is pretty cool. I was thinking it would be a spin on an Imperial Pilsener, but then I found that Weihenstephan and Sam Adams aren't the only Continental European/American beer collaboration going on. I found this:
KANSAS CITY, Mo., October 9, 2009 – Boulevard Brewing Company today announced that Jean-Marie Rock, brewmaster at Orval, the renowned Trappist brewery located in southern Belgium, will team up with Boulevard brewmaster Steven Pauwels to create a small production, limited release beer. The joint effort, a first for the Midwestern craft brewery, will take place during Rock’s late October visit to Boulevard’s Kansas City facility.

The brewers, both native Belgians, will produce an Imperial Pilsner similar to a lager brewed by Rock at the start of his career. It will, according to Pauwels, be a tribute to Pilsner beers; full flavored and refreshing, brewed with 100% Pilsner malt and 100% Saaz hops, using time-honored techniques.

I feel like this beer will wind up like the Chocolate Bock SA did last year:

I'll buy a $15-$18 bottle of beer, try it, and ultimately decide it was that it was not worth $15-$18 and never buy it again. That's not to say that I think this is gonna be a bad beer, just that I think it'll probably wind up being overpriced.

Doesn't really matter to me. I love Sam Adams, and will probably always support it, but Beers like these rarely find their way to little old South Bend, IN. It's almost impossible to get a 90 min IPA, and just a couple months ago we started getting Fat Tire. Although there are some interesting Indiana/Michigan beers that are pretty amazing.

20 bucks a bottle. I just got one last night. Very nice bottle, looks like a champagne or wine bottle. Going to drink it closer to Xmas and if you want to know, I'll tell you how it is.

My wife picked up me a bottle Thursday night (11/09/10)!!! We will be opening it on new years eve. Can't wait!!

SA.jpg

I went onto Sam Adams.com to review this brew when I saw it in an ad somewhere. I'm not really excited about the idea behind the production of this beer. It's basically an attempted cross between champagne and an ale. I lean more towards the imperials and barley wines when it comes to wine-esque brews. Having said that, I have not tried this brew and believe that it may lead to or may have already lead to new techniques with regards to brewing based on the German Purity Laws. Keep us posted on the flavor!:mug:

$20 a bottle in MA. Pretty tasty, very unique mouthfeel, nice and dry like an actual champagne. But, definite diacetyl taste once it warms. It's supposed to be drunk like a champagne though, they suggest drinking it at 42 degrees so I guess the diacetyl isn't an issue in that case, I couldn't detect it when it was cold... this is def a bottle to be shared at a time like New Years, I'd want at least 4 people drinking it, when me and SWMBO had a bottle yesterday it was tough to drink it all before it warmed.

I have a second bottle I'm saving for New Years, no terrible champagne for me!

FYI this stuff (Infinium), I thought I read some place was going to be targeted @ female drinkers.

As for what does it taste like? This is a copy pasta from the SA web site:

At a launch party at the Samuel Adams Brewery in Jamaica Plain, Koch said like champagne it offers fresh fruit flavors including apricot and mango in the sparkling drink. It’s meant to be served in a champagne flute to maximize those fine bubbles. It comes in a 750 ml bottle with a cork and foil top, just like champagne.

He said it’s like champagne, only improved with more body and mouth feel. He suggests you drink it like champagne. It offers a satisfying crisp acidity with a balanced malt body. It contains 10.3 percent alcohol by volume, twice the amount of an average beer.

I'd expect they'll go for a slight premium over their eveyday beers, but nothing to crazy.

Back