power! a practical question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ah, just read the e-biab thread. definitely a space saver, may save me a few bucks too.... may have to stay with 5g batches. has anyone done this with 10g batches? how big a kettle do you need for that?

ah, just read the e-biab thread. definitely a space saver, may save me a few bucks too.... may have to stay with 5g batches. has anyone done this with 10g batches? how big a kettle do you need for that?

I have done 15 gal batches in a 20 gal pot, but would advise a 25 gal. pot for 15 gal. Rule of thumb for me is kettle should be double batch size unless brewing big beers. BIAB does have limitations, as gravity increases, a dunk sparge helps efficiency. Can be very simple or involved as well...simple would be say a 4500w element running at 100% for 10 gal batches...shut off power at strike temp, mash, lift bag and run 100% for the boil. Involved would be recirculating w/ pumps and pids and heat exchangers etc. etc.

Best of luck w/ the redhead...very funny btw...and you don't look easily intimidated which only makes it more humorous:mug:

i've done a little more reading on biab. its a lot like what i did before i made the jump to all grain, as i steeped specialty grains in my extract on the stove. i see a way to be even more minimalistic. instead of racking to a fermentation bucket after chilling, just pitch into your brew kettle, and slap on a tight fitting lid with an airlock on it! heck, if you had a pressure tight lid with ball/pin lock fittings you could pressurize it, blow out the trub and stick in in your beer fridge (though, racking somewhere in there might be a good plan:mug:).

Back