smack pack not inflating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david83

Reaction score
so i bought a smack pack of yeast a while back and forgot about it, its date is mar 8 2010 i smacked it and didnt inflate my question is can/should i still use it ,i have another yeast i can use with it or alone ready to go. will it be harmful if not will it add the flavor it should ?

what do you thimk about pitching it with another pack of yeast thats already swelled?

That would be pointless. I mean, the other yeast would be ready to go and the older yeast will take much longer to reproduce and get going. It'd be just "wasting" the older package.

If you make a starter with the older package, it might take about 2 days or so to get going, but then you'd have a whole bunch of viable yeast. I've done that- used older yeast and made a starter. Then, when it was finished up, just stuck it in the fridge and decanted the spent wort a couple of days later. Then, you have a whole bunch of "new" yeast to use in your next batch.

well, how long has it been? I've had a smack pack not swell for 3 days. But make a starter anyway, so this post is pretty useless. But just because the pack says it should start swelling in 4 hours, or whatever it says, sometimes it takes a bit longer. If it swells quickly, and you're doing a 5 gallon batch of 1.040 , you could probably use it. I'd make a starter anyway, but if yo u're in a pinch, go for it. If it's older, or if it takes a while to swell, definitely make a starter.

Back