Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
Has anyone made this recipe?? How did it turn out and would you recommend changing anything?? I guess I'm wondering how much the chocolate flavor comes through? Thanks!

I made it and it tasted great. The chocolate in mine was very subtle. Not overt like Sam Addams Chocolate Bock. Extremely dark and I left out the hops at flameout. I've seen 2 versions of the recipe, the hop times are a little different and the expected final gravity is a little different. Mine stopped at 1.024 and was very smooth and malty, not sweet at all just well balanced. Its been requested as a house brew.

Will

I made it and it tasted great. The chocolate in mine was very subtle. Not overt like Sam Addams Chocolate Bock. Extremely dark and I left out the hops at flameout. I've seen 2 versions of the recipe, the hop times are a little different and the expected final gravity is a little different. Mine stopped at 1.024 and was very smooth and malty, not sweet at all just well balanced. Its been requested as a house brew.

Will

I was thinking of using a little Chocolate Extract at bottling along with the cocoa that is called for. Do you think that would be too much then?

Was the chocolate taste so subtle that you wouldn't have picked it up if you didn't know it had cocoa in it? Thanks for the response!

I have this beer on tap right now and I think its a solid beer. I added to much hazelnut extract by accident when I was kegging it, so for the first 2 weeks the hazelnut was overpowering. After it subsided it has turned out to be awsome. The cocoa powder gives the beer just a hint of chocolate and if you want more of a chocolate taste then add the choc. extract, but to have the hazelnut with just a hint of choc. leave it out.

Fastricky here is where I found the recipe, on the 3rd page

Morebeer's Brew Chat • View topic - B3 All Grain Recipe Collection

I know from listening to the Brewing Network that this must be a very good beer. He wins all sorts of awards with it. It is featured on MoreBeer's site. IMO, you should brew it as written at least once. If you need to adjust it then you can and you won't have to rely on other people's opinions.

it appears the kit that morebeer sells is alittle different then the recipe in the link i provided. maybe someone with his book can confirm which is the correct verison

anyone know which is the official recipe? i think this is upnext for me

I'm brewing it this weekend. I'll let you know in a few weeks how it turns out.

Hey All!
I'm not set up for AG brews, but would REALLY like to brew up this beer for christmas gifts. I need to get started very soon (actually, I have a feeling I should've started a month ago) in order to get the beer conditioned in time.

I've found the extract kit on Morebeer.com, but they are out of stock. Does anybody know where I could buy a recipe kit for this, or perhaps know how I could assemble an extract kit myself? Thanks!

When I made it I used the recipe under the link, I used extract instead. I used a mini mash for all of the adjunct grains and got about 40% eff. I didn't have anything but a grain sock and a colander, I then made up the rest of the gravity with extra light LME. More beer sells the Hazelnut extract.

Will

I've been looking for a recipe that actually uses hazelnuts. I like getting nutty flavor from malts, but I want a hazelnut punch from actual hazelnuts this time. I don't see that in anything above. Of course, my wife often claims that I'm blind... Also, I rarely find the flavor of extracts to be pleasing. I've made a stout with hazelnuts in an infusion of vodka. That was pretty good, but too subtle for the recipe I want to concoct. I've seen very few recipes that actually use the nuts. One used 8 ounces in the mash, another used 5 pounds (!) in the secondary. Can anyone offer their experience/success/failures with real hazelnuts? Thanks!

Back