How to calc ABV if you add more sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman24

Reaction score
Okay, so Ive read some recipes where you add additional sugars i.e. brown sugar, maple syrup, molasses... to the primary after so many days of fermentation. My question is how in the world do your figure out your ABV if your gravity readings are always changing?? Do you take a reading every time you add sugar? Is there a magic equation that I haven't read yet?
Thanks!

Yes there is a measurable amount of fermentable sugars to each item. i.e. cane sugar = 42 GU per lb. in a 5 gallon batch you divide the 42 by 5 = 8.4 = add 1.0084 to your OG.

By far the easiest way is to enter this data into a brewing program like Beer Smith. Refined sugars have totally consistent and known fermentability, so its predictions will be very accurate for something like this.

Adding sugar is different to the original mash, where the software estimate can be thrown off by differences in your mash efficiency. But as long as you take a reading after the initial mash and boil, you can use that to calculate your efficiency and get the software set up right, after which it will accurately tell you the effect of adding extra sugars.

Back