Not a hophead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ize

Reaction score
Apparently I'm not...

I grabbed a bottle of Alpha King to lead off a six since I was already getting a bottle of Fullers ESB and got a bottle of Arcadia's Lake Superior ESB to compare the two styles... (more on that in the BOTW thread...)

I had the AK with a big fat grilled filet, (i have a KILLER butcher, don't tell my doctor) and baked potato, all to reward myself with for a long hard day of work outside...

I was disappointed to say the least...

To me it was too too flowery.... I dunno, maybe I'm all about malt... I dunno, but I was bummed...

The steak was rocking tho.... :rockin:

Ize

My sister in law is kind of the same way. She doesn't mind hop bitterness at alll, you can throw as much of that in there as you want. When it comes to flavor and aroma, however, she find that 'too much' makes the beer "taste like perfume".

Me? DIfferent story. I prefer dark roastey beers most, but I've got no problem sitting down and chowing directly on some hop cones.

-walker

Food definitley brings out the hoppiness of beers i think...there's this place called 'Red robin' here that sells these gourmet hamburgers, and when you pair a blue cheese-n-bacon burger with a snpa on draught, its a totally different beast!!!

We have the Red Robin here, but I expected them to have a crappy beer selection like all of the other chains. I might have to give them a shot. I've actually been once but was with my boss during work hours, so I didn't ask for a beer list.

:off: Has anyone noticed what a d@mn buzzkill this smiley is?

Anyway, I'm with you Walker. Hop it up! I'm really worried that I've been one dimensional as a beer drinker. About all I drink anymore is hoppy Pale Ale's or IPA's. I

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
We have the Red Robin here, but I expected them to have a crappy beer selection like all of the other chains.

yeah that place is WEIRD like that, and in other ways : its like a sports bar for kids; the atmosphere is like a gaudy cartoon with stuffed animals running around, but it has a huge bar in the middle with drunks smoking.)

:ban: :off: :ban:

I'm not a hophead either, and I think as far as homebrewers go, we're in the minority. I'd be willing to bet that most homebrewers' favorites are IPAs and Stouts, neither of which I like. But that's just me, to each his own, that's why we brew our own!:tank:

I failed to consider the food aspect... Too focused on the filet I guess... :cross:

I'm not a hophead either, and I think as far as homebrewers go, we're in the minority. I'd be willing to bet that most homebrewers' favorites are IPAs and Stouts, neither of which I like. But that's just me, to each his own, that's why we brew our own!

That's where it's weird... I like a good IPA... I may have to give it one more try... But in the end I couldn't agree more, it's all about what WE like...

yeah that place is WEIRD like that, and in other ways : its like a sports bar for kids; the atmosphere is like a gaudy cartoon with stuffed animals running around, but it has a huge bar in the middle with drunks smoking.)

Why does this place sound like someplace I would frequent? Go be entertained kids, Dad needs to sample...." :D

Ize

Highly hopped ales go well with spicy foods, hot sausages, curried pork loin. For a nice cut of beef, I'd lean towards malty ales. Stout & a bowl of chile on a cold day.

I thought about starting a thread called "THE NASTIEST FRIGGIN BEER I'VE EVER CONSUMED"....

Decided that wasn't fair, and figured I'd confirm this post instead....

DFH 90 Min IPA...

I know there was a time I liked IPA's. I remember it. But somewhere over the last 9+ years my taste has apparently changed and I now really have a hard time with this style. Some are just OK. Most of them lately I just plain haven't liked. I wasn't overly worried about it, figured "just my own taste".

Friday of Memorial Day weekend, at my fave beer store I found 3 DFH 90 Min IPA's in the pick a six section! "SCORE!" I thought. I grabbed two of them not to be greedy. I hung on to them for the week. So after a good meal and a few different beers out tonight, I get home and think, "Perfect time to try them".

I barely got thru ONE...

I know there are a lot of people that really like this beer but man, it REALLY turned me off... To ME, it's SO overly hopped that it's almost undrinkable.

So for me anyway, HIGHLY disappointed.

FWIW, I only drank the one, the other will stay in the fridge, shunned, unless someone wants to trade for it, or someone comes over that feels brave some evening....

Ize

Ize said:
I thought about starting a thread called "THE NASTIEST FRIGGIN BEER I'VE EVER CONSUMED"....

Decided that wasn't fair, and figured I'd confirm this post instead....

DFH 90 Min IPA...

I know there was a time I liked IPA's. I remember it. But somewhere over the last 9+ years my taste has apparently changed and I now really have a hard time with this style. Some are just OK. Most of them lately I just plain haven't liked. I wasn't overly worried about it, figured "just my own taste".

Friday of Memorial Day weekend, at my fave beer store I found 3 DFH 90 Min IPA's in the pick a six section! "SCORE!" I thought. I grabbed two of them not to be greedy. I hung on to them for the week. So after a good meal and a few different beers out tonight, I get home and think, "Perfect time to try them".

I barely got thru ONE...

I know there are a lot of people that really like this beer but man, it REALLY turned me off... To ME, it's SO overly hopped that it's almost undrinkable.

So for me anyway, HIGHLY disappointed.

FWIW, I only drank the one, the other will stay in the fridge, shunned, unless someone wants to trade for it, or someone comes over that feels brave some evening....

Ize

You should try something a bit more tame, like Pliny the Elder. :D

Back