Stir bar getting thrown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaner1082

Reaction score
Just got a stir bar for my homemade stir plate. Before that I tried a some homemade stir bars. Everything I have tried just grown tho. It stays on at the very beginning when it starts slow. Is there a way to slow down my fan even more to keep it from getting thrown?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No I have a rheostat but even the slowest speed throws it

how long is the bar? try various sizes. i had the same thing happen with a stir plate i bought so i bought a 3 pack of bars and one of them worked.

Does it have a dial on it? Mine goes from on then one full spin around. Anything more than half way is way to fast for mine. Also is your starter in a flask or maybe something with a slightly curved bottom? That will mess things up real quick..

Sent from my phone using the app

how long is the bar? try various sizes. i had the same thing happen with a stir plate i bought so i bought a 3 pack of bars and one of them worked.

I got the 1" cause every review I read on the 2" said it always got thrown

I got the 1" cause every review I read on the 2" said it always got thrown

i don't know what i'm talking about but i think there is some kind of relationship between the length of the magnet and the length of the stir bar.

A cheap and easy solution, before purchasing more stir bars, would be to wire in a resistor into the circuit, to slow down every rheostat setting!

Had the same problem. Was talking to someone in my local club, he pointed out its all about how the magnets are oriented. He recommended gluing a washer to the fan, then placing the magnets on the washer. That way you can move the magnets around til it works (genius!).

Before I tried the above, I had broke my hard drive magnet. I found by spacing the two pieces further apart I was able to get a solid spin on my stir bar.

I have a 1" bar in a 2L flat (relatively) bottom Erlenmeyer flask.

Had the same problem. Was talking to someone in my local club, he pointed out its all about how the magnets are oriented. He recommended gluing a washer to the fan, then placing the magnets on the washer. That way you can move the magnets around til it works (genius!).

Before I tried the above, I had broke my hard drive magnet. I found by spacing the two pieces further apart I was able to get a solid spin on my stir bar.

That's what I think I need to do. My spacing is pretty close. I just need to open it up and adjust.

I'm having this same problem with the stir plate I built. It's about a half inch gap between magnets and 1" stir bar. Using a 12v power supply and fan, 3w 25ohm rheostat it still throws with any volume of liquid. I spent $1.19 on 5 resistors (100w) on ebay, they should arrive soon. I've read of people using two rheostats, some use resistors and capacitors... I'll try the resistors, adding one at a time and see if it works.

One of the things that helped my stir plate was to slide a small o-ring on each end of the stir bar.

I did the washer trick and it's very good, don't need to glue the magnets. It also allows you to place the magnets farther apart, which I think might help too. I tried a 3/4 bar and it always got kicked, the 1" worked well bit I would love to try a 2".

Are you using an erlenmeyer flask? I had problems with throwing the stir bar when building my stir plate until I get the flask. The other things I tried (mason jars, pitchers) weren't flat enough on the bottom, but once I got the flask and discovered the trick to positioning it on the stir plate, everything worked itself out.

Just something else to consider.

John

FYI 100ohm resistors were too much for my biggest (12v) inverter and 3w 25ohm potentiometer combo. I dug up an old 9v power supply and a larger fan and it works a lot better.

It at least spins in 2L of wort, but before I can even deform the surface it still throws the bar... Kept my yeast off of the bottom though.

In my experience
Get a smaller one.....I use a small maybe 1/2 inch bar with no issues getting thrown. The larger ones seem more off balance. (this was on a homemade stirplate).

Plus even with a small one spinning around it is more then enough to create a vortex.

Have you looked around to see if you have a charger from a phone or router, that is close to 6V?

In my experience

Get a smaller one.....I use a small maybe 1/2 inch bar with no issues getting thrown. The larger ones seem more off balance. (this was on a homemade stirplate).

Plus even with a small one spinning around it is more then enough to create a vortex.

Where did you find a 1/2 bar?

Has anybody used any of the other shaped stirrers like the cross or the oval?

Do you ones with the ring in the middle work better?

Back