Single tier... how close is too close?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
I have access to a BUNCH of 3x3x11ga drop in the scrap pile at work. All the drop is 50 1/4" long so that limits my design length.
How close is too close on the keggles? I have them modeled with a 1/2 inch gap but can slide the outer keggles out some more because the bar grating is flush with the top of the frame.
I have not decided if I want to go with an electric system or a fired system yet.

SINGLE TIER 3X3 TUBE.jpg

I'm not sure about gas-fired system, but for electric, I think you're probably ok. Keep in mind your placement of your ports on your keggles which will most likely be along the front or the back.

If you don't miter the ends, you can get an additional 6" of width on the top surface of the stand.

Like this...
It gave me just the right amount of space between the keggles. Also, I might keep the ends open... Any ideas what I could do with the huge openings?

Or... I could miter the "end pieces"...

SINGLE TIER 3X3 TUBE(2).jpg

You can weld caps on or buy plastic plugs, but your idea of mitering the end pieces would look the best in my opinion.

Whats the weight per linear foot of 3x3x11ga? That thing is going to weigh a TON.

Whats the weight per linear foot of 3x3x11ga? That thing is going to weigh a TON.

4.75#/ft.
With (3) empty keggles, it is right at 250#. If I put on some heafty casters, it shouldn't be too much work to roll around.
Heck, I can use it as a tornado shelter when I am not using it to brew on! haha!
Really though, the material is free. Even the bar grating. I work at a metal fabrication shop... I will weld it all myself. I can roll 250# around for free material.

SINGLE TIER 3X3 TUBE(3).jpg

That looks nice! How are you making those drawings?

That looks nice! How are you making those drawings?

I am using SolidWorks 2012.

I knocked another 20# off the rig with empty keggles. Down to 230-ish... I realized the top of the keggles would be up just shy of shoulder level so I took some height out of the rig. I had hoped to be able to store my keggles under the unit but it is more important that I be able to stir have access to the keggles than store kegs...

SINGLE TIER 3X3 TUBE(4).jpg

I have not decided if I want to go with an electric system or a fired system yet.

I went electric for the cold northern winters, you might want to for the hot summers. Just a thought it is also more energy effecient, but costs more up front.

why not just weld the drops together so you can make it any length you want?

edit: oops nevermind, the guy before me did a thread revival

Back