Cpvc manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
OK, so I've done a pretty good search on here, YouTube, and the net, an I haven't found a good answer anywhere. So, I'm hoping somebody can walk me through this (pics would be a double bonus, but I won't be greedy!)

I've got an MLT that I've used before with a stainless braid. It works just fine, but I want to switch it up to a cpvc manifold setup. I am very comfortable building the manifold. What I can't find anywhere is how to connect the manifold to the drain. I've got no idea how to connect the cpvc into the ball valve drain AND allow some sort of resistance to force a washer and gasket against the inside wall. I'm just so confused at the moment! Thanks.

I just used a 1/2" NPT CPVC fitting to thread into a standard 'weldless' coupling. Pictures of mine are here.

I've never heard of or seen a bulkhead fitting before. That solves a lot of my confusion! Is this the only way to do it, or do others use other methods? Can I find a SS bulkhead fitting at a local home depot or lowes? I followed the link you used in your other thread (to bargainfittings.com) and I can order through there if I need to, but at 13.95 + 5 for shipping, I'd rather find it local if I can. Any ideas?

I have a hose barb on my manifold and a hose barb on whatever you call the tube that goes through the wall of the cooler. The two hose barbs are obviously connected to a hose. I like this because it isn't a rigid mount so when you dough in the manifold doesn't wiggle apart.

I used a table grinder to grind a slight bit off of the 1/2" cpvc tube and just stuffed it into the nipple that's connected to the ball valve. Nice snug fit and easy to take apart for cleaning.

Oh my God! Are you guy's really putting CPVC in your mash tun? Are you guy's crazy? Don't you guy's realize that the chemicals released from CPVC when in contact with 150+ degree water will make your johnson fall off?

;):p:rockin: April fool......

Mine connects with female CPVC to male brass nipple. Commonly found at Lowes, nothing special.

I will add that on my last batch my PVC manifold came apart on me. It had been taken apart roughly a dozen times for cleaning and had become loose. I bought the smallest SS screws Lowes had to reinforce it.

Back