First Big Brewing Screwup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atrus

Reaction score
Well, two really.....

on my batch today (4th batch), I had the thermometer in the pot while steeping, and as usual, I left it in while I added the DME and honey. I thought to myself "I should probably remove this while boiling"...but, of course, I didn't. So, I am 30 mins into the boil, and I go to move the thermometer, and realize that the tip had broken, so I had plasticy-ball bearing congolermate sitting in the bottom of the pot. So, that wort got dumped, no way I was going to attempt to salvage it and serve it with the possibility of glass shards and thermometer pieces in there :(

My "minor" screwup....trying to brew my wheat today, also trying to multitask and fix dinner for the wife as a nice surprise for when she got home (I had the day off!). Anyway, while trying to make the wontons for the soup, I took my focus off the brewpot, where a WHOLE LOTTA wort, mostly hops, spilled onto the stove. People aren't kidding when they say it's a mess! I am 1/2 tempted to get out the belt sander to get this crap off (slight exaggeration). So, it'll be the next decade before I get the stove cleaned again.

Anyway, back off to the store for more honey, saaz hops, and wheat DME. Not letting this end today's brew, it will go on!!!! :mug:

Bad luck on your first batch of today - It happens. :(
However your worst screw up was trying to brew the second one and fix dinner for SWMBO. I'm sure the 'surprise' made her day.
"You had the whole day off and still managed to do that to the stove?.....:D

Atrus said:
Well, two really.....

on my batch today (4th batch), I had the thermometer in the pot while steeping, and as usual, I left it in while I added the DME and honey. I thought to myself "I should probably remove this while boiling"...but, of course, I didn't. So, I am 30 mins into the boil, and I go to move the thermometer, and realize that the tip had broken, so I had plasticy-ball bearing congolermate sitting in the bottom of the pot. So, that wort got dumped, no way I was going to attempt to salvage it and serve it with the possibility of glass shards and thermometer pieces in there :(

D'oh! :cross: These things happen, live and learn. One thing caught my attention - Are you boiling your grains after steeping them? You'll get a lot of tannins and an astringent taste in your beer if you are. You need to strain them out before the boil.

Chairman Cheyco said:
D'oh! :cross: These things happen, live and learn. One thing caught my attention - Are you boiling your grains after steeping them? You'll get a lot of tannins and an astringent taste in your beer if you are. You need to strain them out before the boil.

Nope, grain in a bag, steeped for 30 mins, remove, add DME (and honey this time), then bring to boil :)

Yeah, live and learn. Just finished cleaning up the kitchen. Stove still looks hit. I think it's going to take some time to come clean. Darn light beige glass-top stove.

Caplan said:
However your worst screw up was trying to brew the second one and fix dinner for SWMBO. I'm sure the 'surprise' made her day.
"You had the whole day off and still managed to do that to the stove?.....:D

Ha, I know. Trying to do too much at once, I'm always making this mistake.

On a good note, dinner came out great and she loved it.

Back