What apple juice do you use in your Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing 1 batch with just white house AJ and a second batch with white house apple juice and passion fruit concentrate. Hopefully theyll be delicious.

Anyone ever used aldis brand natures nectar?i have 2 6gal batches going with this juice its been exactly 3wks today.theres still a small amount of activity in the airlock but its still very cloudy,does the quality of the juice determine how clear it will be?

I used Murray's Apple Juice from Roanoke, VA. I was trying to decide between an apple juice that was made in Washington and this Murray's stuff, and I said to the SWMBO "Washington's famous for their apples... Hmmm..." to which she replied "And Roanoke is famous for mysteriously vanishing people." So we had a winner.

The stuff has a lot of sediment, and I mean A LOT. I'm wondering if I should have poured the stuff through a strainer? In my five gallon batch I have probably about 2-3 inches of sediment sitting at the bottom of my carboy. I'm planning on keeping it in the carboy until late September. Is this doable, or should I bottle/keg at some point and keep until then?

as far as the unfiltered, pasteurized apple juice goes...that's pectic haze from what I've read, due to heating up the apple juice. some pectic enzyme before pitching the yeast will clear it right up!

Yes, pectic enzyme is what I'd highly recommend when using cider/unfiltered juice. ALSO, one tip from my LHBS regarding bentonite clay (I've had about 5 pounds of it for a long long time, figured clarifier is the best use for it nowadays) when using cider/unfiltered: Mix 2 tbsp bentonite clay in enough boiling water to dissolve it (about 2 cups ought to do it), cool to room temp, pour into carboy/fermenter, then pour most of your juice in to mix the bentonite, add pectic enzyme, follow up with what Ed's recipe calls for regarding pitching the yeast with the last bit of juice. It will help clear things well, and a LOT faster, without otherwise affecting the results.

As for what I use - my in-laws own several orchards including the 92-acres surrounding my property. And they make the best cider I've ever had anywhere, ever. It's a matter of fierce family pride, third generation orchard/fruit farm. Pasteurized per NYS requirements because of their company size, but no preservatives whatsoever. For you guys that are local, that'd be Twin Orchards in New Hartford.

Sorry to jack up this old thread. But I was wondering how this turned out? I just started a 5 gallon batch of apple cider from the same Central Market organic unfiltered apple juice. I am using Wyeast British Ale yeast as suggested by my LHBS. Did your batch come out sweet or dry or somewhere in between? Also, why would you bottle from the primary next time?

Mine was organic, unfiltered too. UV pasteurized, I believe. Central Market brand. I am definitely bottling from the primary next time!

Remember the 3 P's....
PATIENCE
PATIENCE
PATIENCE

It's hard to wait. If your apfelwein is still dropping lees in the bottle, it can be unsightly or unappetizing. I drank a wonderful blueberry shiraz that was 2004, and it was sooooo good...until on the last 2 glasses, a bunch of sediment fell out. I knew it was safe, but I didn't want to drink it! Clearing is for aesthetics...it's one of the elements wines are judged on in competitions. Like I said, if you don't care, then go for it. I, for one, am waiting. :p

Messaging from Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada.

What is the best result? Concentrate, Non-concentrate, fresh pressed, or cider?
The cheapest deal here is Rougemont from costco which is a from concentrate.

There is a graves pasteurized juice that is not from concentrate but will cost more. Right now its on sale for 3(945ml) for $5. Stuff costs more here by the looks of the posts.

I am going to make this next so I was hoping someone could shed some light on which is the best to use.

Back