Please someone clarify

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd38

Reaction score
Ok, so I know my timing of the year is off, but I am looking to brew an extract hefeweizen this week. I had some ingredients, but went to the LHBS this week and told him what I had.
Which is:
2lbs. Weyer LT Wheat
.25lbs. of Dingmans Aromatic
1lb of Pilsen Light DME

He said I could use this and sold me 1lb of Muntons Plain Wheat DME, Hersbrucker hops AA 2.8%, and 1 packet of Safbrew BW-06.

He told me to just mix everything in my brewpot and boil for 60 mins. My ???'s are so do I still steep the grains in the grain bag, and hops in the hop sock or what. I am definitely a new brewer this is my 3 batch. Please someone help me so I feel more assured and comfortable.

What size batch are you trying to make? That all looks a little light for a 5 gallon. Also, you dont ever want to boil grains. Usually, you steep them @ 150-155 for 30 minutes or more, then discard before the boil.. Hops can stay in the boil the whole time if they're bittering hops.

Steep the grains in grain bag, THEN add the extract and proceed with the boil. Use the hop sock if that is what you like to do.

It's hard to say whether he was just assuming that was understood or if he is an idiot.

probably that it was understood, I just didn't ask exactly what I needed to I guess. Yes it was supposed to be for five gallons, should I take it down some or what would you recommend?

Yes.. If you dont have a few more lbs of DME then cut back your recipe.. Most hefe recipes call for at least 5 lbs of DME. It sounds like you have half that.. I would cut it back.

ok thank u, should I still steep the grains though, most of the hefe recipes I see on here are just DME or LME, hops, & yeast

This falls into the "I dont like hefe's and I dont make them" category, so I cant really give you any good advice on the grain.. It definitely wouldn't hurt your brew.. If it were me, I would steep them and see what happens.

ok did this recipe as a 3 gallon batch, dont know if that was the right thing to do, but oh well too late now. When I checked the SG it said it was 1.70 this seems pretty for a hefe doesnt it. Please let me know your thoughts

ok did this recipe as a 3 gallon batch, dont know if that was the right thing to do, but oh well too late now. When I checked the SG it said it was 1.70 this seems pretty for a hefe doesnt it. Please let me know your thoughts

Well, the recognized style guidelines for BJCP (the official beer grading organization, if you will) for this style are an OG of
1.044 to 1.052.. So yes, this is pretty high.That's even higher than the style guidelines for a Robust Porter. Expect this beer to be heavier than you thought... If you want to keep it closer to the OG, you could add water to the fermenter to thin it out a little. I have done that before and there is a recent thread on the subject here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/adding-water-fermenting-beer-148274/

You may want to be careful with this though because if you actually got the right amount of hops for a 3 gallon batch then adding water could thin out the hop bitterness as well, leaving you with a correct OG, but less hop bitterness. What was your hopping schedule like? How many, what kind, and what were the AAU's?

I used a 1/2 oz of the hops put them in a hop sock for the whole boil, AA 2.8, I went to Dr. Jeckyll's brew lab in Pantego. Thanks for your help

I'm not the most experienced person here, so take this with a grain of salt. But I do not steep grains and then throw in malt and proceed with an hour long boil. The reason is that if you do this with extract you wind up with a caramel flavor, what people call the 'extract' flavor. If I had to boil bittering hops for an hour, and then another round of aromatic hops for 30 minutes, and then finishing hops etc. I would do so in plain water (or the water you steeped grains in). I never add extract before the last 20 minutes of the boil. That is something I learned from the brewing network (The Sunday session maybe?). My beer never tastes like it came from a can.

ok, I am a new brewer also, only done 1 batch that wasnt a canned extract kit so any advice is gladly taken

well... it took me a while to read through the whole post (beers and milky ways...)

At this point, it looks good to me. Did you add any orange/citrus/corriander?

I ran this recipe in beersmith as a 3 gallon batch just for curiosities sake to get some idea of the vital stats.. Double check the amounts I used to be sure they were what you actually used.. If I got the ingredients right, your OG should have only been around 1.033, not 1.070. Maybe you read the hydrometer incorrectly? Or didn't compensate for temperature? when did you take the gravity reading?

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 3.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.033 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 9.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU