Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ellie with her usual expression.

ForumRunner_20131005_142929.png

Brewtah said:
She is 2 1/2. She is a Landseer Newfoundland/Shorthair mix. I know strange combo. Dad is a fence jumping German Shorthair.

Looks like a springer spaniel/black lab mix too. Great looking dog

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do about slobber control? Do you just use a box of rags or a mop? I always wondered if you could use slobber as a industrial lubricant?

I keep a designated drool rag and wipe off her slobber before she has a chance to shake her head. When I'm too late then I try to clean it off of the wall, tv, ceiling, etc before it dries. Once it dries it's like glue. Half the time she shakes her head it ends up on her snout, ears or head and I wipe her down. I definitely have to warn guests before they come over because she loves to put her head in your lap.

I keep a designated drool rag and wipe off her slobber before she has a chance to shake her head. When I'm too late then I try to clean it off of the wall, tv, ceiling, etc before it dries. Once it dries it's like glue. Half the time she shakes her head it ends up on her snout, ears or head and I wipe her down. I definitely have to warn guests before they come over because she loves to put her head in your lap.

One of our dogs was an accident. Her mom is a pure-bred yellow lab and her dad is a pure-bred newfie. She turned out looking just like her dad, only without all the hair and the drool that comes with a newfie. She still drools more than our other dog, but knowing how much newfies drool, I can live with it... :D

One of our dogs was an accident. Her mom is a pure-bred yellow lab and her dad is a pure-bred newfie. She turned out looking just like her dad, only without all the hair and the drool that comes with a newfie. She still drools more than our other dog, but knowing how much newfies drool, I can live with it... :D

Sounds like an interesting mix! At first the drool seemed a hassle to deal with but now I don't even think about it. I'm lucky I've even got friends who instinctively grab the drool rag and wipe her down when she's got a dangler. Guess it's a fair trade off for free beer.

Any good reccomendations for reading on training a rescued dog or selecting a dog to adopt that will be suited to training?

Not something I'm planning on jumping into tomorrow by any means, but my wife wants a protection dog and I have always wanted to train a working dog. I understand it's not an easy thing to do and that the difficulty and time commitment would be compounded by working with a dog with baggage, but we'd prefer to get a dog that's not going to get a chance at a good life otherwise. Not dead set on a breed, but I was around Bouviers as a kid and have always loved them. Seems like the kind of dog someone might get for looks without realizing what the dogs needs are.

Rescue dogs are some of the most appreciative and obedient dogs you'll find. When you meet them..If you can grab their full attention with a small treat or toy, and they remain calm and attentive, that's a really good sign. If they're wild and crazy, that's probably how they'll behave for a while. You also need to be in a calm setting when you meet with no other dogs or distractions. A treat motivated dog can make your training a lot easier

Rescue dogs are some of the most appreciative and obedient dogs you'll find. When you meet them..If you can grab their full attention with a small treat or toy, and they remain calm and attentive, that's a really good sign. If they're wild and crazy, that's probably how they'll behave for a while. You also need to be in a calm setting when you meet with no other dogs or distractions. A treat motivated dog can make your training a lot easier

While that has some merit, it's not always the case... My first Aussie (Jacks) came from a local shelter. When he and I made eye contact, he went nuts, as in "You're here for me, I know I know I know!! Me me me pick me please!!!".

Best dog I've ever owned.

MC

While that has some merit, it's not always the case... My first Aussie (Jacks) came from a local shelter. When he and I made eye contact, he went nuts, as in "You're here for me, I know I know I know!! Me me me pick me please!!!".

MC

Isn't that crazy? Had a similar experience with my dog who I got from a local shelter. Its like they know that you will pick them.

Our ACD was a shelter dog. When we saw him, he had been in the shelter for over a month. They weren't sure about showing him because, according to them, he had absolutely no personality. He ever so gently licked my wife's finger while we looked at him through the cage door and she asked if we could take him out to the play yard and see how he does. We got him out there and she threw a ball and he exploded after it. when he brought it back, he dropped it at her feet and licked her face like crazy. She said we'll take him!
Best Pound Puppy Ever!

MC

Totally, that's why I used words like a "good sign" and "probably". I was more referring to their trainability, not just being a good dog. I'd think most experienced owners can tell if a rescue dog is easily trainable within 30 minutes of being alone with them, but of course there are exceptions

My papillon can't contain excitement whatsoever.

But he's incredibly smart. Tricks like rolling over and playing dead took about two minutes to be consistent and repeatable. When he was being house trained as a young pup he slept in a cage in the laundry room, and it took him a few nights to start unlocking it and escaping it as soon as he was put it, by lifting the latch through the bars with his nose and then pouncing at the door before it dropped back into place. Tried moving it so the door would be against the wall, and that very night he still escaped by jumping around enough to move the cage.

To clarify, I wasn't asking about normal obedience training, but looking for advice on assessing a rescued dog's suitability as a working dog. I thought DKWolf or someone might have advice or be able to recommend some resources.

To clarify, I wasn't asking about normal obedience training, but looking for advice on assessing a rescued dog's suitability as a working dog. I thought DKWolf or someone might have advice or be able to recommend some resources.
Sorry, my only experience is training a pup fresh from a litter. Before I brought Sage home, I bought, read, and re-read "Gun Dog" by Richard Wolters. His methods apply animal behavior methods to the training, and he stresses the importance of starting bonding and training at a specific age (49 days).

However, I don't see any reason the methods can't be used to work with an older dog, it might just take more work. That'd be my recommendation as far as training - get a good book, and follow the methodology they prescribe until you know what works and what doesn't for your dog.

As far as assessing the suitability of a rescue dog... sorry, I've got nothing.

I'd suggest taking the dog for a walk and see how it reacts. Does it just go to the end of the leash and do it's own thing or does it pay attention to you. Try out a few commands and see if someone has taught it sit, down, stay, or anything like that. If it's been taught any commands at all already, then it already has the basic ideas laid down and further training will be easy.

TNGabe said:
Try researching some of the USAR teams in your area. I was watching a special on the history channel about working dogs and they showed a USAR team that used dogs rescued from shelters. I'm sure they must have some kind of formula/guild line for assessing them.

our last 2 dogs were rescues who picked us way before we picked them

neither of them could be described as "obedient" but I just think they figured out early that we were pushovers and they were right.

frustrating, but they are/were wonderful loving dogs and couldn't love them more

one thing about the Howdy is that he's the first dog I've ever had that actually looks at what I'm pointing at, and not at my finger.

he never goes over and gets whatever I'm pointing at, but he does look

That was my second guess, cool dog. What is the temperment of a Borzoi like?

Big giant doufus, really. He's super sweet, thinks he's a lap dog, and not particularly bright or useful at anything other than sitting on the couch and chasing things.

Sighthounds were really bred for chasing things. And theoretically, then tearing them to shreds, but he's probably better at being wolf bait than actually hunting Russian wolves. His idea of fetch is to chase after what you threw, look at it, and then come back - without the toy. They're also rather independent, which means he's really only interested in pleasing me when I'm actually around. If I'm not, well... I don't really have to clean the cat boxes as often as I did before I got him.

So, 90lbs of stupid, lovable lap dog.

A few minutes ago I laid my best friend to rest. Her battle with bone cancer has ended. I loved her with everything I had and she returned it tenfold. At about 5:15 she ran through the gates of heaven.

Rest in peace Eleanor, we'll see you on the other side.

image-2309387181.jpg

A few minutes ago I laid my best friend to rest. Her battle with bone cancer has ended. I loved her with everything I had and she returned it tenfold. At about 5:15 she ran through the gates of heaven.

Sorry to hear petie.

So sad :,( Sorry man Eleanor will always be with you

Been there done that. I am so sorry for your loss. I wish dogs lived longer. Don't wait to long before getting another dog, like I did.

Sorry to hear that. Losing a dog a is the worst. Don't follow Popcorn's example of how to deal with tough times. ;)

TNGabe said:
Sorry to hear that. Losing a dog a is the worst. Don't follow Popcorn's example of how to deal with tough times. ;)[/QUOTE

Thanks guys. It's been a pretty tough day. Don't worry I won't do what Popcorn did. I will say that my heart is truly broken.

Back