Failed yeast... what to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullimat

Reaction score
Well on saturday i made EdWort's Bavarian Hefeweizen and used some Weihenstephen yeast i had in the fridge that had been there for a while. Well, two days later i have NO signs of fermentation whatsoever (been brewing for a little while and never seen it take this long) and think the yeast was probably too old. My question is, i was wondering if Nottingham would be an ok substitute to get fermentation going. I'm really trying to get some banana flavors out of this one and not sure if Nottingham would still be able to create that or not. TIA!

Nottingham is pretty "clean" and neutral, so you won't get the same flavor profile. Normally, liquid yeast without a starter can take up to 72 hours to start. If you didn't use a starter and used older yeast, you probably can double that time. I'd wait the 72 hours, and see if it starts. I'd be scared to go longer than though, although you probably could if no action starts as long as you were sanitary.

Well, admittedly when i took the yeast packet out of the fridge there was a frozen piece inside the package. I know i probably should have not even bothered with it but i thought i would still give it a shot regardless. If it doesn't work i can always go get some more yeast and just save the Nottingham for my next batch of Haus Pale Ale (man is that stuff good!).

If you don't have any airlock activity after tonight then I'd suggest to pitch some us-05 (if you have any) and you might get a decent american style wheat beer outa that. But that depends on your recipe too. Watch for airlock/ blowoff activity before you pitch something else. You never know!

Back