220V Heat Stick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
I have seen lots of posts where people boil 5 gallons of wort using a couple of 110V heat sticks. Because I would like to whirlpool my wort, I don't want to distrub that with a heating element, so I thought about making a 220V heat stick with a 4500W or 5500W ultra low density heating element.

I'm not sure if the heat stick would be more dangerous than a ekeggle?

This would give me the ability to transfer it to heat up my HLT (10 gallon gott cooler), and then transfer it over to boil my wort when that time comes.

Just looking for some thoughts on this idea?

Thanks!

That is how I am brewing now, just was thinking about converting to electric to be able to brew inside

I'm not sure if the heat stick would be more dangerous than a ekeggle?

This would give me the ability to transfer it to heat up my HLT (10 gallon gott cooler), and then transfer it over to boil my wort when that time comes.

Just looking for some thoughts on this idea?

Thanks!

Technically you could do it, but a movable 220v heat stick is kind of scary. Having it mounted in place would be a lot safer imo.

Technically you could do it, but a movable 220v heat stick is kind of scary. Having it mounted in place would be a lot safer imo.

+1 In one aspect I can see how only having one stick to manage could be an advantage from a safety aspect, as I have "dry fired" one of my sticks two during a blonde moment.

GFI the power source, perhaps also ground the kettle? I'm not that knowlegeable...but is it more dangerous than using two separate 110 V sources???

Please be careful!

Back