How do you clean your beer glasses?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do you put them in the dishwasher or just use hot water?I have 2 levels of beer glasses, some guinness pint glasses that i put in the dishwasher and some nice German and Belgian glasses that i use a drop of dawn and wash with very hotwater by hand and let drip dry..What do you guys do?

I (usually my wife) just put mine in the dishwasher. That being said detergents and rinsing agents are known head killers. Therefore my glasses always get a good cold water rinse and light scrubbing before pouring.

My dishwasher works so poorly that I try to handwash and air dry as many of my pint glasses at possible. I've found that I get a much better pour that way.

There's a product called DBK that's been talked about on beeradvocate. They even had a link to a video linked. I tried to find a source for it here in Florida, but have been unsuccessful.

That being said, I handwash in hot water with very little soap and rinse the 'ell out of 'em with hot water.

Allan

I hand wash all my glasses and rinse with hot water.

I re-rinse in cold water prior to pouring beer into them. ;) I do not dry them off either. The soap residue transfers from the towel to the glass.

Dishwasher detergents leave a coating on the glass that is not head friendly, like Cascade with its spot removing and quick drying properties.

Funny how no one ever mentions that it does exactly the same thing as another product does whenever my car goes through the car wash...do you really want that on your glasses? :confused: :confused:

I rinse my glassess immediately after use also and just toss them back into the freezer. My wife, on the other hand, loads them into the dishwasher with everything else.

Honestly, while I care about the potential head my beers have, in reality, it's only that first one I really care about.

My name is Yuri, and I'm a dishwasher criminal. I use Jet Dry.

I think my dishwasher has a very thorough rinse cycle because my glasses do not seem to impact head retention at all.

I used to make a big ordeal about it and only hand wash. My wife accidentally washed some in the dishwasher a few times and I got the same results - crystal clear glass and no loss of head retention. Sometimes I give them a quick rinse before filling, but that doesn't seem to make a difference either.

howlinowl said:
There's a product called DBK that's been talked about on beeradvocate. They even had a link to a video linked. I tried to find a source for it here in Florida, but have been unsuccessful.

That being said, I handwash in hot water with very little soap and rinse the 'ell out of 'em with hot water.

Allan

Glass Cleaner and Lime Remover (D.B.K.) - 1-800-234-dbk1

This is the only place I see selling it, but the good thing is they sell it for $0.49

Yuri_Rage said:
My name is Yuri, and I'm a dishwasher criminal. I use Jet Dry.

I think my dishwasher has a very thorough rinse cycle because my glasses do not seem to impact head retention at all.

Everybody, Hello Yuri...

Yuri_Rage said:
My name is Yuri
2810774300101759406S425x425Q85.jpg

SuperiorBrew said:
Glass Cleaner and Lime Remover (D.B.K.) - 1-800-234-dbk1

This is the only place I see selling it, but the good thing is they sell it for $0.49

Hmmm..... the link says it's beer line cleaner. Wonder if it's the same thing? If so, I've got some BLC, maybe that could be used also?

The of the DBK showed them washing the glasses, and when they poured a beer, there'd be no bubbles on the side of the glass. The bubbles are caused by dust, ect, acting as a point of collection for the CO2. I still get bubbles on the sides of my glasses, no matter how well I rinse them.

Allan

I dont know how mine are washed, I just leave them in the kitchen and they remarkably wind up in the cupboard all nice and clean. I try to use the same one all week and just rinse it out with clean water and set upside down on the counter.

SuperiorBrew said:
I just leave them in the kitchen and they remarkably wind up in the cupboard all nice and clean.

Your SWMBO must like that - she tells you do the dishes, you do and then completely forget you've done it and so don't feel resentment. :mug:

I've got JetDry too, I love that stuff. :) I've never noticed that it causes problems with head retention at all but I still wash my galsses by hand more often than not since I've currently got a grand total of 4 beer-only glasses and need to have a clean one when I go next time. :D

This glass was washed in the dishwasher with Cascade detergent and Jet Dry, pulled straight from the shelf with no rinsing, and had been sitting for several minutes:

4688-head_retention.jpg

I think I'll be just fine...

I never use the dishwasher for beer glasses.

I wash with dish soap and rinse with the hottest water that I can stand.

Dishwasher with jet dry. I figure the R&D guys at jet dry put a million dollers into making their product work so it should be ok. :mug:

Yuri_Rage said:
This glass was washed in the dishwasher with Cascade detergent and Jet Dry, pulled straight from the shelf with no rinsing, and had been sitting for several minutes:

4688-head_retention.jpg

I think I'll be just fine...

Hey Yuri, How do you like those Sam Adams Glasses? When i saw them on there website they looked bigger and nicer..I got some for Christmas and though they were tiny..
Do they give you a better beer drinking experience like there advertised?

Bulls Beers said:
Hey Yuri, How do you like those Sam Adams Glasses? When i saw them on there website they looked bigger and nicer..I got some for Christmas and though they were tiny..
Do they give you a better beer drinking experience like there advertised?

I have them too. I find that they're good for certain beers and not so good for others. I too was kinda let down by their size...

Not Yuri but I love mine, a 12 oz bottle fills them perfectly. I recently read somewhere that they are now available in some stores for about 25% of what they were selling for from SA. I am down to 3 and would like some more.

I think Yuri snagged some off eBay that I was watching but spaced and then auction was over. At least a fellow HBT'er got them.

I like 'em, too. They're not big glasses, but like Superior says, they hold a 12 oz beer just fine. They have become my "go to" glass when pouring a beer, and I really do think they accentuate the aroma quite nicely.

Cool. I'll be using mine tonight..Thanks guys..My favorite glass is the Erdinger Weis bier glass. i think it's 1L size and it fits almost 2-12 oz beers. The more the merrier.

depends... if i'm in the basement, oxiclean and real hot water. if i'm in the kitchen, dish soap and real hot water. sometimes i just rinse them out with real hot water.

back in college it was pretty seldom we'd wash our beer glasses. (had a kegerator with corni and sanke) the time between the last beer of the night and a lunch time brew wasn't all that long. We'd just top it off... :cross:

flash forward to now... just use the dishwasher with whatever SWMBO likes to buy for detergant. No problems with head yet. But then again we've only been married 4 months now:eek: Not sure what that has to do with how my beer glass gets washed. Guess if i used the college method it might decrease a bit outa spite.

only got 1 more bomber left of my first batch... My oatmeal stout will be in the bottles 3 weeks come newyears, got an english pale i put in secondary on xmas and an IPA brewed that morn. Forgot to take the gravity reading though. Darnit.

I have been using the dishwasher with no head retention problems. But, the dishwasher has faded and removed the art work on many of my pints. I don't know if I just have too much heat or the glasses are cheap. One glass I lost the entire picture in one washing.

I do the rinse and rinse-SheWMBO does the Yuri thing, and quite honestly I can't see any difference.

But I ain't real damn picky either...when there's beer in it, it's all good.

Some guys'll ***** about a blow job...:D

Back