Dry hopping in primary with no signs of CO2 production

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwin-in-nc

Reaction score
Ok so I'm new at this so forgive me if this is a dumb question or has been asked before. I brewed my first batch which was an extracted based IPA 2 weeks ago that involves dry hopping after 14 days. My question is I have not seen any activity in the airlock since last week and I'm somewhat hesitant to add the dry hops for fear that the yeast have settled out and will not be able to burn off any oxygen that I expose the beer to when I throw the hops in and take a gravity reading. The OG was 1.072 which was right were it was suppose to be I took a gravity reading after 7 days and it was 1.014 which is in the ballpark of where the final should be based on what the kit said. Any wisdom or advice would be great and thanks in advance

Edwin

This is one of the reasons I typically dry hop towards the end of primary fermentation (3-7 days depending on the batch), however you'll be just fine adding the hops now - the hops will drive out some residual CO2 which should scrub out some oxygen. You're still introducing far less oxygen than you would be if you racked to a secondary fermenter. Plus as this is an IPA - best drank young and fast so there shouldn't really be time for oxidation make an impact.

If your going to dry hop in your primary just throw the hops in and don't worry about the oxygen. - This is what I would do.

If your going to dry hop in a secondary make sure you've hit your FG before you rack it. Three consecutive days of the same SG is what I look for. Once you've got this, rack it as gently as you can and throw the hops in.

Thank you for the advice after reading the wealth of knowledge on this forum I decided to not rack to secondary to avoid the exposure to O2. Lesson learned though I will try hop once primary fermentation is winding down. That being said though if I want to leave in primary for 3 weeks or so if I toss them in after a week that means they would be in there 2 weeks or so could that not lead to vegetable flavors in the beer

...I will try hop once primary fermentation is winding down...

This is an area of debate.

Pro: CO2 scrubbing + interaction with yeast (produces different flavor compounds)
Cons: Hop oils stick to yeast and drop to the bottom (i.e., less remain in your beer)

I split the dry hop addition. One once fermentation is ramping down (krausen mostly fallen, bubbler not doing much), and one maybe 5 days later. Advice from my cousin, who makes incredible beer. I really like the way my IPA's come out, so I'll keep doing it.

I avoid secondary's at all cost. I only use for lagering, for the most part.

You should always make sure the beer is at FG first. Yeast action in suspension will allow the hop oils to coat the yeast & go to the bottom. You basically want the yeast to be settling out before you dry hop 7-10 days. The co2 gas in my experience will not drive off aroma,since it's the lupulins from the hops producing flavor & aroma.
And since co2 is a heavier gas than o2,it won't poof into the air just because you openned the fermenter. Just be gentle when opening & dropping in the hops. The gas will stay in place. And since the hops will create nucleation points,some of the dissolved co2 will be friven out into the head space.

Thanks I appreciate all the help I'm going to take gravity reading should be at final seeing that a week ago it was basically there 1.014 ( kit says 1.010 to 1.012 is final) and dry hop for 5 to 7 days then bottle. Hope my first batch turns out good !!!

Thanks I appreciate all the help I'm going to take gravity reading should be at final seeing that a week ago it was basically there 1.014 ( kit says 1.010 to 1.012 is final) and dry hop for 5 to 7 days then bottle. Hope my first batch turns out good !!!

I typically start dry hopping at an estimated 2 points from FG - that is what Firestone Walker does and they make excellent IPAs/IIPAs.

I think they do that just to save a day or two waiting for FG. They are running a business,after all.

Not exactly - been a while since I listened, but on the CYBI podcasts Matt talks about the yeast interaction with the dry hops while there is still some fermentation going on producing something unique that you can't otherwise achieve - and of course the added benefit of the yeast absorbing any oxygen that isn't pushed out by CO2.

I've been doing it for a while and have had good results so I keep doing it, can't really explain it further though. Even when I rack to secondary to dry hop I do the same thing as far as gravity goes.

It could be that some of the hop oils coating the yeast & settling out mellows the dry hop down to where he wants it?...Large or small scale,the reactions are basically the same.

Well I will try it both ways and see how it turns out once again thanks for all the help this forum is a lifesaver

Back