Supplication Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK1017

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Abbey Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Brett B, Belgian Sour Mix
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 at 68-71
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
18 months at ambient
Tasting Notes
see below
Here's the recipe and technique I used...

Recipe: Supplication Clone
TYPE: Partial Mash

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 20.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.75 lb Extra Pale Extract (1.3 SRM) Extract 65.85 %
1.75 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 17.07 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.76 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.44 %
1.75 oz Styrian Goldings [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops 21.2 IBU
0.25 oz Styrian Goldings [3.50 %] (10 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
1.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Belgian Sour Mix I (White Labs #WLP655) Yeast-Ale
1 Pkgs Brett Brux (White Labs #WLP650) Yeast-Ale

Measured OG: 1.053
Measured FG: 1.004
Measured ABV: 6.39%

Here's a compendium of the information I could find out about the beer that helped me with this quest: brown ale aged in French Oak Pinot Noir barrels, aged with sour cherries, fermented with Brett, Lacto, and Pedio; 7.00% ABV; OG 1.064 ; 27 IBU's

*From Vinnie: "We ferment in the primary with Abbey 530 Yeast and remove the yeast post fermentation and hit the beer with Brett and the cherries (25 pounds to a 60 gallon wine barrel) in the wine barrel and let it sit for 2 months. After that we add the bacteria and more Brett, it normally ages for 12 months in the barrel.

My Technique
*Pitch the abbey ale yeast to primary - down to 1.014 after 14 days (ramped up from 68 to 71 over the course of fermentation)

*Transferred to secondary with 2 oz of oak (1oz french-medium and 1oz american-medium), 12oz of pinot wine (Estancia), cherries (3lb of cherry puree, 24oz of frozen cherries), and brett B. Allow it to ferment for 2 months.

*Add belgian sour mix and allow to ferment for another 6-18 months

*After 12 months, cork and cage the beer to 4.0 volumes of CO2 adding 7.5oz of table sugar and 5.5oz of Safale US05

The taste coming out of the fermenter at bottling is exactly what I was looking for. Cherries up front on the nose, nice complexity of oak and malt and brett. Moderate tartness in the finish. Overall, uncarbonated, I think it's a great beer that I really enjoy drinking. Does it compare to the real Supplication? I'll update this in a few months with a side by side comparison and tasting notes.

To make this beer you will need a lot of patience. And space to let this thing go for a total of 18 months or so. But overall it's not that complicated, just need some time. Unfortunately, the bulk of my secondary fermentation was not temp controlled, so ideally, I would fix that in future if I could. Also, when I re-brew this beer, I'd like to do an all grain mash to better control the fermentation profile, also possibly adding a bit of acidulated malt. Also, I may try to always have a batch of this fermenting away, as it could be blended like traditional lambics or kegged for long term storage.

Feel free to ask questions if you have them. I'd like to thank Oldsock on the forums and his website (themadfermentationist.com) for the resources. I also would like to thank Vinnie, who actually responded to my emails and helped me formulate a recipe. Awesome!

Cheers! - BK

I've been planning a sour for a while now, and this is some great information. My one question concerns what Vinnie said about removing the original yeast after fermentation is complete. In the video I've seen (), he says this is to remove any "autolysized yeast character." I'm assuming that RR does this with their regular filtration setup (I've only been to Stone, but I'm guessing it's similar to their centrifuge/diatomaceous earth system).

Only the home brew side, I've never filtered out yeast before. Nor do I see myself building a system any time soon. Are there additives that will kill off the yeast without affecting the beer? Potassium Sorbate and Campden seem to be a popular combination, but I've never used this technique before. BK - did you run into any issues with leaving the 530 in, or is 5 gallons a small enough batch that we shouldn't have to worry about that?

As a side note to Winters' comment - I just watch a video with Vinnie, and he says most of the fruit is from California, but "on occasion the cherries need to come from Michigan 'cause there just aren't that many sour cherries grown here."

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't imagine autolysis to pose any problem on a homebrew scale. just rack off the yeast cake into secondary before adding the brett, bugs, and fruit.

Most likely a dumb question, but the longterm aging/Brett/sour blend fermentation was in Glass carboys, right?

Brewed this recipe 12/30/12. Fermented according to your post/schedule but my gravity is only down to 1.020. Sample today is very vinous, dominated by the pinot noir added. I know we're still early on, but planned on adding the Sour Mix in a couple of weeks. Should I pitch more Abbey Ale to get it lower, or just not worry and pitch the Sour Mix?

Any opinions are welcome... (i'm posting this in the supplication clone thread as well)

Looks like a fine recipe, thanks for posting. Finn you think this would age well over 5 or 10 years in a bottle? I'm planning on doing a few beers for long term aging and this looks like it might be a good candidate.

seatbelt123 said:
Looks like a fine recipe, thanks for posting. Finn you think this would age well over 5 or 10 years in a bottle? I'm planning on doing a few beers for long term aging and this looks like it might be a good candidate.

You would need more dextrins for this to really age 5yrs. The Brett and bugs depending on pitching size will eat through this recipe as is, which could turn into a flabby/watery beer. 1# of carapils or .5# maltodextrin powder would help in aging and mouthfeel while its young.

Am a novice interested in making this.

Do the cherries and wood chips need to be sterilized first and if so with what?

thanks.

Am a novice interested in making this.

Do the cherries and wood chips need to be sterilized first and if so with what?

thanks.

Not an expert in this, but my past findings (and what I've done) is boil my wood chips/spirals for 10 minutes - if I'm not doing a sour beer type.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Anyone know the all grain conversion for the extract used in the above recipe? Thinking about giving this one a go here in about two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Anyone know the all grain conversion for the extract used in the above recipe? Thinking about giving this one a go here in about two weeks.

I believe it will work out to 9 lbs of grain if he used LME 11.25 for DME

Looks like a solid recipe. I've been looking for a good sour to try and make. As a bonus I found dried cherries at Costco today.

Brewed this 3 nights ago. Nailed the OG I was aiming for and fermentation took off within the first 8 hours. Had to switch over to a blowoff tube at about 20 hours and fermentation has slowed by this afternoon.

Looking forward to the next few steps. I'll be doing the Brett with a New American Oak spiral and 12 ounces of Kendall Jackson's Cabernet Sauvignon. I'll also be adding strawberries and rhubarb. Will keep everyone posted and try to include some pictures. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400272554.156284.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400272570.085029.jpg

Brewed this 3 nights ago. Nailed the OG I was aiming for and fermentation took off within the first 8 hours. Had to switch over to a blowoff tube at about 20 hours and fermentation has slowed by this afternoon.

Looking forward to the next few steps. I'll be doing the Brett with a New American Oak spiral and 12 ounces of Kendall Jackson's Cabernet Sauvignon. I'll also be adding strawberries and rhubarb. Will keep everyone posted and try to include some pictures.View attachment 199785View attachment 199786

Looking good bro.
I've had a similar recipe down for about 2 months in secondary, with Brett B (no Cherries) Waiting for Sour Mix I in a week or two from my LHBS, then I'll pitch that in with a small wort to give it something to chew on, and top up the carboy (nice glass wide mouthed one), then leave for a good year.
I stumbled upon this, and saw the process I used is very similar, without realising it. I don't plan on doing all cherries, but will split a small amount off for cherry aging later on.
MY OG was 1060, and FG with the 530 prior to secondary was 1018 (Mashed High) a small pellicle formed quickly and seems to have been eating away.

Sour Mix I in a week or two from my LHBS, then I'll pitch that in with a small wort to give it something to chew on, and top up the carboy

When you say, small wort, are you making a starter with the Sour a Mix, or just boiling up some DME and water to add at the same time? How much?

Transferred to secondary last night (FG 1.015) and racked on top of 12oz. Cab Sauv., 1lb frozen strawberries, 1 1/2 medium toast oak spirals, and 3lbs/1lb strawberry/rhubarb purée. Pitched the Brett and wrapped it up in a blanket, and put it a corner of the garage where it should maintain nice 90-105 temps for a couple months until adding the Sour Mix.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402064210.495210.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402064222.341058.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402064232.618511.jpg

Transferred to secondary last night (FG 1.015) and racked on top of 12oz. Cab Sauv., 1lb frozen strawberries, 1 1/2 medium toast oak spirals, and 3lbs/1lb strawberry/rhubarb purée. Pitched the Brett and wrapped it up in a blanket, and put it a corner of the garage where it should maintain nice 90-105 temps for a couple months until adding the Sour Mix.

View attachment 203969View attachment 203970View attachment 203971

That's purdy!

I've been tempted to do a sour and this recipe looks awesome! Just to verify, you age on the cherries and oak the whole time once they're added right? You're not racking off them until bottling?

My concern would be that using oak spirals or cubes for that duration of time might leave the beer over oaked.

My concern would be that using oak spirals or cubes for that duration of time might leave the beer over oaked.

I am just beginning my 'sour brewing' journey, but from what I have gathered so far the oak is left in the entire time in a flanders red style beer. I think the key to to not over oaking may just be not adding too much oak in the first place. I'm interested to see the replies on this. I really want to get a few Flanders red/browns going but I am moving in about 5 months and figured that would be bad for the beers to be jostled around in the car for 15 miles.

I've been tempted to do a sour and this recipe looks awesome! Just to verify, you age on the cherries and oak the whole time once they're added right? You're not racking off them until bottling?

I will be aging the beer on the fruit and oak for the rest of the process (roughly another 7 months). I did a whiskey oaked RIS earlier this year and upped my oak usage accordingly based on favors that came through from that. I think it's something you can play around with as you go. Try sampling several months in. If the oak is coming through how you like, maybe pull some out if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Pitched the White Labs Sour Mix on Thursday, before the holiday weekend. Haven't seen any activity. But, then again, I'm not sure if I would? I'm contemplating adding a few more pounds of strawberries. If anything just to give the bugs a few more sugars to gnaw on. Haven't heard anything from the original poster as far as how this tasted after bottling. No idea if adding more fruit will over "sweeten" this particular recipe, or not? Should I even bother with adding more fruit?

On a side note... Has ANYONE else brewed this up and actually tasted it after bottling? Thoughts?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404793294.061211.jpg

Pitched the White Labs Sour Mix on Thursday, before the holiday weekend. Haven't seen any activity. But, then again, I'm not sure if I would? I'm contemplating adding a few more pounds of strawberries. If anything just to give the bugs a few more sugars to gnaw on. Haven't heard anything from the original poster as far as how this tasted after bottling. No idea if adding more fruit will over "sweeten" this particular recipe, or not? Should I even bother with adding more fruit?

On a side note... Has ANYONE else brewed this up and actually tasted it after bottling? Thoughts?

View attachment 209870

Patience.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1417033783.579728.jpg
Will be bottling this on 12/7. Want to give it a solid 2.5 months before gifting some away. Ordered up some 375ml bottles. Was going to cork, but decided to go for crown style to save money this time and not buy a corker.

Looking forward to tasting again and getting this carbonated and conditioned. Tasted great back on 10/05/14. Oak, vanilla, nice tartness (about 3.0-3.5) on my pH strip reading, lots of strawberry coming through after adding 10 more pounds. Should be delicious!

View attachment 238327
Will be bottling this on 12/7. Want to give it a solid 2.5 months before gifting some away. Ordered up some 375ml bottles. Was going to cork, but decided to go for crown style to save money this time and not buy a corker.

Looking forward to tasting again and getting this carbonated and conditioned. Tasted great back on 10/05/14. Oak, vanilla, nice tartness (about 3.0-3.5) on my pH strip reading, lots of strawberry coming through after adding 10 more pounds. Should be delicious!

Nice work.
How old is it now?

Anxious to hear how the tasting went. I'm about to embark on my first sour ale shortly and I think I'll start with this recipe. Thanks!

Tasting was great, sorry for the delay. Has been enjoyed by several others as well. I'm told for as delicate a fruit as strawberry the flavor really comes through. Very nice pleasant tartness. Carbonation could be a little higher. One big important piece of feedback I've been given is to consider blending with a younger beer next time, to help give the beer some body. It is a little thin. I know blending is a big part of the sour beer making process and didn't even think of it on the Homebrew level, but will be taking this into great consideration next time. Holding back a case for aging. Will be fun to see how this develops/holds up over the next 1-5 years.

Back