Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

best addition to add to this recipe?

• more base grain

• more specialty grain

• more hops

• forget it and use it for something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

discokid2k

Reaction score
HI brewers,

Got a question for you! I have an all grain recipe that contains the following ingredients:
5 lbs 2 row pale
3lbs rye
1lb cara10L
1 lb smoked pecan-wood 2 row

My question is this: What would you add to make this a great recipe? What types of hops would be great with this and a trial run of a brand new home made hop back? It is an experiment so let me know your thoughts out there!
The LHBS screwed up my order so now I have this random bag of grain described above. I have 1/2 lb of extra smoked pecan-wood 2 row that I could throw into this batch and I could easily get a variety of different grains to add in for complexity but....I am curious about the senior brewers think??

HI brewers,

Got a question for you! I have an all grain recipe that contains the following ingredients:
5 lbs 2 row pale
3lbs rye
1lb cara10L
1 lb smoked pecan-wood 2 row

My question is this: What would you add to make this a great recipe?

Why don't you tell us what you want it to taste like or at least give us a hint. :mug:

Answers to questions: It was originally a Rye beer yes. But they threw in the lb of smoked pecan wood and it can be a lot of different things now.

What would I like it to taste like....I want it to taste...Great;)

I thought about making a porter since it now has the smokey flavor. I have been collecting and growing yeast from a previous bitter batch so I have a nice amount of wlp002 english ale yeast that would go great.

I was thinking a porter bc I have never done one before but besides the chocolate malt, what else would help round it out? I have the following leftover hops in my brew space: 1oz of Kent Goldings and 1 oz of fuggle I believe + 1/2 oz hersbrucker, 1/2 oz of centennial. I think the cent and hersbrucker are out of place when taking the smokey flavor into account. Does this inspire more from anyone out there? Thanks for the help brew meisters!

Ok some quick thoughts afetr I started regaining sanity from work:

I need a malt to offset the rye. I agree with wailingguitar and the chocolate malt but I need something to bring out what a porter is? Maybe another lb of brown malt along with the chocolate? Mainly to help get the OG above 1.050...although without it is pretty close. I have done quite a few ryes lately and maybe a porter is the way to go? Let me know what you think:mug:

Back