American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple weeks ago I was having a commercial beer called Alpine Duet. It tasted very similar to the Lake Walk Pale Ale, mostly because it uses the same hops. Found it interesting and wanted to share.

Going to brew my second batch of this. Used 1272 on the first batch and it came out perfect. I have some 1056 on hand and want to use it. I presume that will work fine? Let me know what you think

Going to brew my second batch of this. Used 1272 on the first batch and it came out perfect. I have some 1056 on hand and want to use it. I presume that will work fine? Let me know what you think

I've brewed with both and prefer 1272 as I've had ridiculously high attenuation with 1056/US-05 lately. The 1272 lets the beer finish about 1.014 and leaves a bit of body/mouthfeel which I enjoy.

Finally drinking mine after 3 weeks in the keg. Drinking really nice, although I think I need a break from Amarillo. Seems like my last few Pale Ales have had it, and I think I'm getting a bit tired of it. I home toasted my 2-row, and I can't really pick out the toastiness, but maybe it's subtle and my untrained pallet isn't picking it up.

Great recipe Dude.. thanks!

I just bottled mine last night and am pretty excited to try in a couple weeks. Smelled amazing! Tastes great!

Just mashed in on my second batch of this. Off to an ospicious start...forgot to close the valve on the tun and probably lost a half gallon or so before I noticed. DOH!!!

Doh! That was some damn fine wasted wort.

I just drank my first bottle with only 5 days in the bottle- so I guess I'm wasting beer too! But hey I'm new and chalking it up to "education".

Awesome beer. Did some simcoe as FWH and overall the bittterness was not extreme. Think my 001 finished at 1.010- good body even undercarbed.

Brewing this again this weekend but I'm using Magnum for the bittering charge and then Falconer's Flight for the flavor/aroma/dry hop. I'll post the results after it's ready. I'm excited to taste this hop blend.

Yuri_Rage said:
0600 AM: Flameout. Going to get ice for the chiller. Should be fermenting away by the time I wake up this afternoon. I love beer.

Yeah I'm with you. I brew early in the morning, usually not quite as early as you, but my mash is usually resting at sun up. A couple of reasons for this, 1 I can finish up early in the day and spend the rest with my kids. 2 I'm in GA now so I get it in before it's sweltering. 3 there's something to say about sitting outside my brew shed waiting for the mash to rest, listening to the birds wake up and breathing the freshest air of the day, especially when there's malt and hops in it!

Just brewed up 5.5 gallons of Lakewalk came in with 81% efficiency and a OG of 1.058 - Pitched a starter of WLP008 East Coast Ale Yeast instead of S-05. Any thoughts on this yeast?

Tasty goodness. Thanks for the recipe dude!

image-103376702.jpg

Just brewed up 5.5 gallons of Lakewalk came in with 81% efficiency and a OG of 1.058 - Pitched a starter of WLP008 East Coast Ale Yeast instead of S-05. Any thoughts on this yeast?

This beer smells amazing! Fermenting away in my fridge, everytime I open the door I'm blasted in the face with the smell of delicious hops!

A couple weeks ago I was having a commercial beer called Alpine Duet. It tasted very similar to the Lake Walk Pale Ale, mostly because it uses the same hops. Found it interesting and wanted to share.

Of course it is rated an "A". :rockin:

Brewing this again this weekend but I'm using Magnum for the bittering charge and then Falconer's Flight for the flavor/aroma/dry hop. I'll post the results after it's ready. I'm excited to taste this hop blend.

Interesting choice of hops there, bro. ;)

I just bought some Falconer's Flight and I'm not sure if it's just me, but that blend is really flowery to me. I'm gonna brew with it soon, but I think I'll use an English yeast.

This is good stuff. I brewed this a couple of months ago with Kolsch yeast, with Amarillo & Falconer's Flight hops. Crazy good aroma!! Kolsch gave it a little lighter crisper feel. Just entered it into my first competition ever so we'll see what happens. Thanks for the recipe!

Just finished kegging this batch and put it on gas - FG came in at 1.015 ~ 5.6% ABV. Smells amazing, pulled a sample and this one is delicious! I had 0.5oz on both Simcoe and Amarillo pellets leftover from brew day, so when I added the dry hops last week I included the leftovers for 1.5oz of each hop. Smells very citrusy, can't wait to taste this next week!!:mug: Thanks Dude!!

I have brewed this twice and absolutely love it. Would like to bump up the ABV a little to maybe 6 or 6.5. I will play with the recipe on Beersmith to figure out the increase in the grain bill. What about the mash temp. Should I lower it to 149 or 150 to dry it out a bit?

Hi - is this brew a little hazy from the wheat, or does the irish moss sort that out? My last APA had a similar grain bill (no toasted grain), but it just never dropped clear.

I guess I could always Gelatine it, but does the Irish Moss get this one nice and clear?

Btw - brewing it in 2 days time. Can't wait!

Interesting choice of hops there, bro. ;)

I just bought some Falconer's Flight and I'm not sure if it's just me, but that blend is really flowery to me. I'm gonna brew with it soon, but I think I'll use an English yeast.

Well I'm finally drinking this beer. It's good but not great. I highly prefer the original recipe with the Simcoe/Amarillo (my favorite hop combo) to the Falconer's Flight.

I get a very lemony taste/aroma with a bitter aftertaste from the Falconer's flight, wasn't quite what I was hoping for and won't bother with that hop blend again.

I brewed it as per the recipe. 40litre batch, and split the two FV's; One with Wyeast 1272, One with US-05.

Should be interesting, and i saw my first Protafloc Cauliflower in my fermenter....hectic!

Thanks for a great recipe, was fun to toast the malt, and all the late hop additions made for an aromatic brew morning.

Now to wait and see, then drink and enjoy!

I split my batch, 5.5G each, one with Wyeast 1272, and one with US 05 Dry Yeast.

Slow fermentation on the 1272 after 5 days, US 05 almost done.

Will report on tastings, they are getting entered into a HB Compo.

Not the best photo, but here's a shot of the Lake Walk I'm drinking now. Such a solid brew! This is the first beer I've brewed that has a real good mouthfeel. A little hazy but I dry hopped directly with pellets. I can def pick out the toasted malt - pretty pleased with WLP008 it's pretty clean, but looking forward to brewing this up next with some US-05 next and tasting the difference.

IMG_0825.JPG

After winning gold with this, it is my most requested beer from Friends. I decided to brew again, and oh my god it is so tasty. Even at 3 weeks old it is so drinkable.

Thanks Dude.

I just took Gold in American Pale Ale in my first ever homebrew comp. with your recipe.

Wicked! Great brewing!

Which comp, if I might ask?

I just racked a batch over to a keg yesterday. I've brewed this beer 29 times and the latest batch is by far the best. I used my Hop Rocket...and I also made a couple of late additions of Citra along with the Amarillo/Simcoe. F'ing incredible aroma. The Citra really adds a knock your socks off grapefruit...so tropical and AWESOME!

After winning gold with this, it is my most requested beer from Friends. I decided to brew again, and oh my god it is so tasty. Even at 3 weeks old it is so drinkable.

I think this beer drinks better young. Of course, I can't keep any around to let it age. ;)

Thanks man, seriously fantastic recipe.

It was the Toronto Beer Week Competition, my first ever. American Pale Ale had the second most entrants with 23, so it's an even sweeter win.

Like I said previously I added some Citra in the dry hop on my latest batch, and I'm not sure I'd do it again. The Citra overpowers the Simcoe in the aroma.. perhaps I might decrease the amount a bit.. but the original recipe is where it's at. Only thing I've noticed is it takes forever to clear, even with Whirlfloc but I guess it's the flaked wheat.

I also think the Simcoe/Amarillo is such a winning combo. I've brewed with a lot of Amarillo and I was quickly becoming tired of it.. too much grapefruit, I like the dank.

Ok Dude, further testament to the greatness of this beer.

I brought 5 gallons to a Halloween Party on this weekend, and this was the runaway winner of the 3 beers that I brought. Non-craft drinkers were demolishing this stuff, which surprised me.. because it's certainly at the limit bitterness wise for a Pale Ale. I dry hopped with Simcoe/Amarillo and Citra and they raved about the aroma.

I entered this (original recipe) in the Dixie Cup homebrew competion. The good news is I got 2 scores of 42 (out of 50, BJCP guidelines)!! The bad news is it didn't place LOL. Stiff competition!

nspaldi0 said:
I purchased the ingredients for this yesterday, and I can't wait to brew it!

You going to toast the 2 row? I did with my pre crushed 2 row for about 10 each side and it worked well.

nspaldi0 said:
I plan to toast it myself. How long and at what temp worked for you?

Oh the perfect excuse to break out the brew log......

Ok, 2 pounds, 275F, 15', stir, 15'.

Probably could have gone a bit longer, but I wanted to err on the side if not scorching it. This beer was really tasty.

Thinking about it made me look at my hop stash as well! I bought the simcoe but thought I had three ounces of Amarillo. Only have two ounces left, but I'll grab another ounce before brewing next weekend.

How do we enter the Toasted Pale Malt in recipe calculators? Include it with the regular 2-row in the calc? Brew target also has Toasted Malt, but I think thats something else.

You could try Victory I think it's similar, but to be honest I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could just put it in as 2-row, most of the color will come from the C-60.

I toast my own, and after brewing 3 batches, I've settled on 20 minutes at 375. I tried it at 10, and couldn't detect any toastiness.

Latest posts

Back