Better Bottle Users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
does anyone use a BB as a secondary? I was wondering about the plastic letting in oxygen before the 2 weeks is up.

Yep. I do. I do my primary in a plastic bucket for a week to 10 days. My Haus Ale & Hefe get kegged after 10 days in the primary, but I'll be doing another Kolsch this weekend that will go in a Better Bottle for 4 weeks after 10 days in a primary.

Better Bottles Rock!

I'm under the impression that Better Bottles don't allow for oxgen to pass through. I love mine too, and I'm using it as a secondary right now!

The Better-Bottles specifically, and PET plastic in general, has negligible oxygen permeability. Many believe that glass carboys have a zero oxygen permeability. Not so. While it is true that the glass itself will not allow any gas exchange, the same cannot be said for the stopper, which is gum rubber or vinyl. So the overall oxygen permeability is not zero.

I don't know the hard numbers between the oxygen permeability of glass carboys with rubber/ vinyl stoppers and Better-Bottles with their PET ported closures and the other PET accessories, but I'd be willing to bet there is not any significant difference.

Back