Vinegar!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
:mad:

It's official, the ale I brewed D-Day is vinegar. All eight gallons of it.

Time to throw out all my tubing and order a new auto siphon.

Good thing the pipeline is about full...

:rockin:

My condolences for your loss.

Ed

You just know who I will be ordering an auto siphon from...

(kidding)

Thanks, Ed.

It's terrible, I only have an American Wheat, Cherry Wheat, Weissonbock, Amber Lager and Amber Ale on tap, plus a Vienna Ale and two wheat beers in primary.

Damn it, I am liable to run out!

;)

why do you have to scrap everything (equipment wise?)

The infection came from somewhere. That batch was split between two fermenters, and both had the same infection. That leads me to believe either the auto siphon or siphon tubing was buggy. I replace tubing regularly, and my auto siphon is getting old.

Ouch. The only batch I ever had to dump had turned to vinegar, I suspect it was acetobacteria in the secondary because somehow a few fruit flies got in there. I noticed a bit of a vinegar taste when I bottled it, and it got worse the longer it sat in the bottles.

I soaked everything touched by that batch in a strong bleach solution, and haven't infected anything since.

Yes, I would recommend a soak in a strong bleach solution and carefully check for any scratches that can harbour unwanted beasties and replace that.
Sorry to hear of the loss, and best of luck.

Back