OxyClean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
SWMBO used my Oxyclean the other day to get some stickers off of some glass form a picture frame. That was on Thursday or so of last week. She left it there until Sunday, put it out, tried it off and put it away for a couple of hours. In the evening she noticed some 'scratches' and when we looked closer, I noticed that the OxyClean ate into the glass.

Here is what she did:
She used a tupperware that wasn't long enough to soak the entire glass, so she just put the part 'under water' where the sticker was on. Then she let it sit until Sunday. The Oxyclean left 'scratches' where the water mark is/was.

Has that happened to anyone before? I seriously was not aware of the strength.

Doubted it's etching. Chances are, it's a buildup (hard water stain) that can be removed by vinegar, or a razor blade. :)

I have a ring around the outside of the neck of one of my bottles that I haven't bothered to remove yet.

is it really scratches or streaks? Sometimes oxyclean leaves residue....but I have never heard of it etching glass....at least not carboys.

Could pitcure frame glass have some sort of anti-glare coating that could be etched by the sodium percorbonate? Anyone?

I tried to use 90% alcohol from the pharmacy I had sitting around. It's certainly a scratch into the glass. Now there might be some coating on that cheap *#&$ but I am not completely sure. I never had a problem with my carboys or anything else but this certainly caught my attention.

Alcohol won't take off hard water stains. I'd try using a razor blade, CLR, or vinegar.

some picture frames have plastic on them rather than glass.. not to sound like an idiot, but are you sure it's glass?

and sometimes they put a clear film on the glass to help with dust and scratches from shipping.

Yep, def glass and no plastic. I'm also almost certain that there is no thin plastic coat on it, at least non of those that you can pull off after shipping.

OxyCleans active ingredient is Sodium Percarbonate or Sodium Carbonate and Hydrogen Peroxide... It decomposes into H20 and Soda Ash. Now sodium carbonate is a pretty strong base so it is not an acid so it is not going to "etch" class.The stuff is actually safe to ingest. Hydrogen peroxide although corrosive isint going to eat glass.

I bet what you have stuck on there is the remaining soda ash. This happened to me on my granite countertops and a hard scrub got it off.

Back