Left over night question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
Had a buddie brew a beer the same night as me. He decided he wanted the carboy at his house the next day instead of pitching the yeast that night. He put an airlock on it left it there and about 18 hours later came and got it, brought it home and pitched the yeast.

I assume it will be fine because the wort was sealed.

What's your thoughts?

ndhowlett said:
Had a buddie brew a beer the same night as me. He decided he wanted the carboy at his house the next day instead of pitching the yeast that night. He put an airlock on it left it there and about 18 hours later came and got it, brought it home and pitched the yeast.

I assume it will be fine because the wort was sealed.

What's your thoughts?

I am not sure I understand. What did his wanting the carboy have to do with pitching the yeast?

If you had the cooled wort in a sealed carboy with an airlock that was sanitized you should be OK. Ideally you pitch the yeast right after cooling the wort.

It should be fine.
The reason for pitching ASAP is that wild yeast and bacteria is airborne and you WILL have some in the head space. If there is sufficient it can take hold before you pitch the brewers yeast and could be the predominant fermenting force.
Probably won't happen within 24 hours but in theory it is a risk.

Why didn't he just go ahead and pitch the yeast? You should always shoot to pitch the yeast as soon as you reach the correct temperature.
I seriously doubt that waiting over night will have any adverse effect on the beer but why take the chance?

He wanted to pitch the yeast at his home to avoid moving it any further. Would have been challenging and undesirable to do so after fermentation. Also, moving to a secondar, bottling couldn't be done as convieniently.

Thanks for the answers.

He should be fine.
I used to (regularly) let my wort cool overnight, and pitch the yeast the next morning-never had a problem.

Back