First brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bel

Reaction score
Just finished my first boil. Overall I think it went pretty well. Just have one question. OG was supposed to be between 1.065 and 1.061. There was quite a bit of foam at the top of my hydrometer tube so it was tough to see but I think OG was 1.060. Is that a problem?

No. Sounds like your reading may not have been accurate due to the foam. Also, if you topped up the water to achieve full volume, it may not have been mixed well enough. Finally, if you used any grains (partial mash or all grain) you may have been just a little low on efficiency.

Regardless, being one point outside the range is pretty minimal.

Just finished my first boil. Overall I think it went pretty well. Just have one question. OG was supposed to be between 1.065 and 1.061. There was quite a bit of foam at the top of my hydrometer tube so it was tough to see but I think OG was 1.060. Is that a problem?

Nope and congrats on your first batch! :mug:

Not a problem at all. Congratulations on your first brew! A point off won't even be noticeable. .001 lower og will mean around %0.1 abv less in the final product, and virtually no difference in taste.

Awesome! Thanks for the responses. Hope it turns out good. I was a little surprised how thick the wort was. Is it always really thick? I felt like it was difficult to poor into the fermenter without some of the trub getting in there. It kept blocking up my strainer. Hopefully it will settle out during primary and secondary.

Awesome! Thanks for the responses. Hope it turns out good. I was a little surprised how thick the wort was. Is it always really thick? I felt like it was difficult to poor into the fermenter without some of the trub getting in there. It kept blocking up my strainer. Hopefully it will settle out during primary and secondary.

It'll settle out just fine. Just give it a good 3-4 weeks in the fermenter. 1.060 is a good size beer so I'd expect it to be some what thick.

Cool. Thanks. I was thinking 3-4 weeks in the secondary.

Cool. Thanks. I was thinking 3-4 weeks in the secondary.

You can leave it in the same fermenter for the entire time. No need to move it unless you're dry hopping or adding cocoa, cherries, etc.

Have it in a plastic bucket. Was going to put it in a glass carboy after fermentation slowed and I was close to FG. Any thoughts?

Have it in a plastic bucket. Was going to put it in a glass carboy after fermentation slowed and I was close to FG. Any thoughts?

Honestly, there's no need. It's just fine where it's at. If you were good at sanitation then there's nothing to worry about. The first batch is always the hardest. Just leave it alone and keep your temp in check. Check it 3 weeks if you must. 4 if you can stand it. You'll now it's done if you get consistent readings over three days.

Any where between 64&70 should be good right?

Back