Hops wicking beer into neck of carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
First post here and looking for advice on dry hopping since the first time didn't go too well. This was the first beer, a hoppy red, that I transferred into a secondary. Still had A little activity in the airlock after 5 days but decided to transfer after gravity dropped below1.01. Forced 2oz whole hops in a bag through the neck of a carboy and racked on top if it... Well after popping on the airlock my brew started foaming and either a ton of dissolved co2 was in the beer or the fermentation kicked into overdrive. The bag of floating hops acted like a wick and the neck kept filling with liquid. The air pocket below kept growing and blowing beer out the airlock then blowtube. Lost a good 3 pints of beer overnight... Until the hops were floating well below the neck. Seven days later and my airlock is still popping every five seconds. Was there that much co2 dissolved in the beer? Did the hops create that much foaming? I can't imagine there was that much sugar left to ferment...

I've never dry hopped, but you got me curious.

Found this: http://***********/stories/article/indices/37-hops/573-dry-hopping-techniques

Half way down the page it talks about what you are experiencing. Quote from that page: "On the other hand, pellets can cause a sudden eruption of foam that will have you scrambling for a towel and wondering what sort of alien being has taken over your beer. This is because as the pellets break apart (almost immediately) they provide thousands of nucleation sites for the CO2 in the beer to attach itself and come out of solution. Be careful and go slowly when adding pellet hops to any nearly full container."

Thanks for the question. I learned from it :mug:

Good find. I was going off the recommendation of a friend, but he hadn't experienced what happened To my brew. While I didnt use pellets I may as well have. By the time the whole hops were forced through the carboy they were basically pulverized. Next time I'll just dump them in... There's no way I'm retrieving that bag without cutting it anyway.

When I started brewing I bought only glass carboys, and reasoned that there was something wrong with plastic buckets or that glass was somehow better. That was before I started dry hopping. If you dry hop in a bucket and put your hops in a sanitized sack, you won't have this problem and as an added bonus you can (with sanitized hands) squeeze the hoppy goodness from that hops and lose almost nothing to absorption.

I did my primary in a bucket but transferred to glass for secondary. The thinking here was oxidation and clearing. Since I didn't have a filter and used quite a bit of hops in the boil I figured the extra siphoning step would only help. I have an ipa in the primary and I'll probably dry hop without transferring.

Latest posts

Back