Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastur

Reaction score
So I'm attempting a orange/honey wheat this weekend and wanted to get some feedback on my 2 gallon extract recipe.

1/2 lb Wheat Malt
1/2 lb Honey Malt
1/2 Crystal 10L
3lbs Wheat DME

1/2 oz Sterling (30 minutes)
1/2 Falconer's Flight (5 minutes)
1/2 oz Sweet Orange Peel (5 minutes)
Wyeast 1010 American Wheat

I'm looking for a decently strong, but flavorful summer beer that I can share with some of my friends; any thoughts?

That looks pretty good, but I would either skip the honey malt or reduce it to 4 ounces, maybe even 2. I love using sweet orange peel as late additions for summery beers. Totally different than using fresh zest or bitter peel. You could also try "dry hopping" with fresh orange zest or adding some at the end of boil, it would probably work well in that beer.

Yet a different opinion...

I'm going opposite of robtotten on the honey malt. I like the flavor profile that honey malt gives and I'd leave it at 8 oz. I think if anything, I'd reduce the wheat malt because you have wheat dme going in. Orange peel is a good choice. I've 'dry hopped' with orange peel and the results, in my opinion, are even better when using it in the boil.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll definitely have to try the dry-hopping with the orange peel. I think I'll keep the honey malt where it is and adjust it the next time I brew.

You could also dry hop with the falconers flight. I just did an ounce for one week on my pale ale and it smelled amazing. I also added some orange peel to that one so it's kinda like a pale ale version of your recipe. Love a good citrusy beer for the summer.

I just brewed a honey wheat beer with 8 oz of honey malt and it's way too sweet. I would definitely cut the honey malt in half.

I personally use 8 oz of caracrystal wheat in my american wheat beer. That's for a 10 gallon batch, and it doesn't lend as much sweetness to the finished product as honey malt does. Since this is for a 2 gallon batch and you're using c10, I would cut the combined weight of c10 and honey malt down to somewhere around 4 oz max. Maybe 2 oz of each. I think that a full pound of carmel malts is going to leave your beer much too sweet.

Back