New Mocha Porter recipe, feedback request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golddiggie

Reaction score
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.25 gallons
Boil Time: 60 minutes

Ingredients:
12# Pale Malt (2 Row) UK Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise (2.2 SRM)
12oz Honey Malt (25 SRM)
10oz Kiln Coffee (165 SRM)
10oz Pale Chocolate Malt (197 SRM)
.75oz Target hops (10.50% AA) 60 min
.50oz EKG hops (5.00% AA) 15 min

Yeast choices: Wyeast 1335 British Ale II, 1084 Irish Ale, or 1728 Scottish Ale. Undecided as to which to use.

OG estimate: 1.067-1.077
FG estimate: 1.017-1.020

Bitterness: 28.6-26.7 IBU
Estimated Color: 22.3

Mash Profile:
Single Infusion, medium body, batch sparge
Mash in: 20qt @ 167F for 152F target, 75 min.
Decoct 7.63qt of mash and boil. Hold grain at 170F for 15-30 minutes (consensus?)...
Sparge with 16qt @170F (might split into 2 parts for the sparge, undecided).

Ferment for ~4-6 weeks. Once good, considering adding a split and scraped vanilla bean for 1-2 weeks before bottling.

Contemplating adding cocoa powder to the priming solution. Enough to make a very strong batch, so that enough flavor gets added to each bottle.

Getting the kiln coffee and pale chocolate malts from Farmhouse Brewing Supply. If UPS sits on their thumbs and delivers on Monday, then I plan to brew this next weekend (5/21 or 5/22). Otherwise, it could be brewed/started this weekend coming up.

Thinking that this could be a solid 'after dinner' brew. Depending on how the mash goes, it could get over 7% ABV. I do hope that the mash schedule listed above gives me better effificency than I've had lately. I'm also considering adjusting my Barley Crusher gap to .035" from the .039" it's been at.

Post up your thoughts on this recipe... My only porter (so far) that came out as a porter used 1056 for the yeast. The second one I brewed actually turned into a barley wine due to other things we did to the recipe. That one used 1084...

looks good to me...

I just don't get the honey malt...but I've never used it...

as far as yeast go that's a tough one...I'm partial to the 1335...but I've heard good things about 1728 and have wanted to give it a try.

I'm a big fan of wlp 007

When I was just starting out brewing (back in November, 2010) I used honey in a few batches... Since then, I've moved to using honey malt to get the desired flavors/effects... The description of honey malt is "Intensely sweet - adds a sweet malty flavor sometimes associated with honey."

I could reduce the amount to 12oz and probably still get the desired effect. Basically, I want to add a bit of sweet to the brew, but also have the coffee/chocolate flavors from the kiln coffee and pale chocolate come through.

IMO, 1728 is a great strain. 1335 is another solid one, as is 1084... Hence the difficulty selecting which one to use. All three are UK yeast strains, with good characteristics to them. All have good flocculation properties too, not that it matters as much with a dark brew.

I was thinking about also using some flaked barley, but have since decided against it. I think the brew will still have a good body to it, and nice mouthfeel. I don't want to mash any warmer than about 152F so that it will ferment out better. I mashed my wee honey (a wee heavy) at 150-152F and it came out great. FG hit 1.016 (OG was 1.074) with 1728 yeast. The recipe posted here will have a decent starter for it, as well as get a pure O2 infusion into the wort.

BTW, I've been looking for something like both the kiln coffee and pale chocolate malts (from Farmhouse Brewing Supply) since I started formulating my own recipes (so about six months now)... Just glad that I finally located them and was able to get a decent amount for my initial inventory (cleaned out their supply of the pale chocolate with my order :D)...

I do wish there was a single site that listed the flavors given by all the brewing ingredients available. As it stands, it's not always easy to figure out what something will completely do for a recipe. At least not this early in my home brewing career. :D

Back