Belgian Dark Strong Ale Dark Belgian Trappist Style Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Chimay
Yeast Starter
negative
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Chimay Yeast Cake
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 at 60 raising to 80
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Distinctively Chimay, deceptive, highly drinkable...great for after dinner
15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 2.50 %
0.25 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.25 %
0.25 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 1.25 %
2.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
1.00 oz Argentine Cascade [3.70 %] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
1.00 oz Argentine Cascade [3.70 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
2.00 lb Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 10.00 %
0.50 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 2.50 %

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.104 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.09 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 10.78 %
Bitterness: 27.1 IBU Calories: 489 cal/pint
Est Color: 25.8 SRM

Mash Profile

90 min Step Add 23.63 qt of water at 165.5 F 150.0 F

I added it at the end of the boil for this one. I think it would probably be an OK idea to use pilsen malt as a base instead of the two row pale as well. This is such a big beer I think it would benefit from mashing even lower than 150 too. I still have maybe 6 bottles of this left. It is very, very good.

This is going to me my first all-gain brew. As i understand it, I bring the mash up to 122 for 30 min, than to 150 for 20-30 min, than up to 158 for 10 min. What do you suggest?

Would a step mash be good for this beer. My mash tun is to small to have all the grain and the 23 qt of the mash at once. Was thinking of doing a step in mash but haven't decided on the temperature and timing.

Any suggestions?

step mash would be fine. Like 30 minutes at 147 and 30 minutes at 155 or something. The recipe is great. Sub whatever hops you like.

I'll do a Starter with a WLP 500, planning on having about 3 qt. I think that should be enough.

I'll do a Starter with a WLP 500, planning on having about 3 qt. I think that should be enough.

That's about right. Nice work:rockin: Let me know when it's done, I will PM you my addy so I can test the brew for quality of craftsmanship. :D

The key to the amazing flavor of this beer is the special B, C120 and amber candi sugar. When you combine this with the plum/fruit of the yeast you get a deep raisin/plum/fruit character. I only have a single bottle of this original recipe left.

You'll have to come to ireland to taste it, sending you a bottle will make my name added to the terrorist list due to the potency of that brew :cross:

I just got back from a Belgium brewery tour beercation and want more (than I brought home). So this looks easy enough to brew. Why did u do a 90 minute mash though? Last spring I did an ABT12 from AHS and got 3rd place at our club (BURP) meeting. Still have a few corked bottles left.

Sheldon

I did the 90 minute mash to increase attenuation. I would actually do an overnight mash if I did this brew again...which I will!

Brewed the trappist in 2 batches. My mash tun is too small to do 6 gallons of such a strong beer.
Was a bit low on efficiency, too much water on the first batch but the second was spot on.
Combined i should have an OG of 1.092 which is still good enough. It is bubbling away nicely. Can't wait to taste the finish product.
Thanks for the recipe.

Brewed the trappist in 2 batches. My mash tun is too small to do 6 gallons of such a strong beer.
Was a bit low on efficiency, too much water on the first batch but the second was spot on.
Combined i should have an OG of 1.092 which is still good enough. It is bubbling away nicely. Can't wait to taste the finish product.
Thanks for the recipe.

Awesome, let us know how it turns out. If I were you, after you reach about 1.035 or so start ramping up the heat gradually if you can. 75-80 is not too warm.

I opened a 4 months old bottle of the trappist last night, and it was spectacular.
It improved tremendously. I tested it a couple times after a month in the bottle and it wasn't that great but the one I had last night was really good.
Glad I forgot it and have a bunch of bottle left.

This recipe goes back on my redo list. Thanks.

making a pilgramige to Dublin in late July. Going to visit the holyland for a second time. Not sure where Cork is located, but if you are near Dublin, perhaps we can get together for a real Guinness.

Cork is about 2 and half hour by car from Dublin. I rarely go up there myself. But Ih you are in cork let me know.

will do, not sure we will have a vehicle. I think our planner (daughter) is going to rely on public transport. We used buses and boats last time through.

Bring some rain clothes because july in Ireland is a rotten time to be there weather wise.

thanks for the warning. I hear its really hot in Spain, where we are headed to begin the trip (Madrid and then Barcelona).

Cheers.

Sheldon

So I brewed a Belgian golden strong this past Sunday, I've been looking around at other recipes to get an idea of how long to let it ferment , whether to do a secondary and how long to let it carb but most of these tabs don't help with that. So how do I know when and if to do these things?

Back