Grilling in Dallas Apts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotquiteawake

Reaction score
So I've got a little bit of Christmas money to burn, around $100. So I was thinking of getting a real gas grill. Right now I've just got a stupidly small portable Colman gas grill (I can cook about 1.5 steaks at a time, or 3 hamburgers).
So I was looking at getting a full size one. However, as those of you in Dallas and the surrounding areas know that most apartment complexes have to have a policy of "no grilling on patios" because of a Dallas city ordnance or something like that. I see lots of neighbors with grills on the patios though. I don't see them using them often, but they definitely wouldn't be able to move them 15 feet from the building if they did.
I think I want this one http://www.lowes.com/pd_296447-4976..._prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1
good reviews, good price, but i'm worried about buying something like that and then having someone complain and the mgmt make me put it away. I REALLY like BBQing though. Back when I lived in house in college we'd BBQ as often as possible.

So any of you in and around Dallas or areas with similar "regulations" have any experience going ahead and BBQing on your patio anyways? Seems that gas is a much safer bet than charcoal, also I've got a fire extinguisher.

Also, any BBQ nuts have opinions on that grill? Seems like a good balance or cheap and useful.

I see lots of neighbors with grills on the patios though. I don't see them using them often, but they definitely wouldn't be able to move them 15 feet from the building if they did.

I have never gotten away with anything in my life. If I lit a candle on the balcony, I would get caught and canned. Don't do it. Join a local brew group and offer to split supplies and work for 1/2 of the beer with someone that has equipment. Maybe you can BBQ at new friends house. Save your money and build an electric system you can use in your apt.

:off: No comment to your question.

Let me save you $$$$ if i may. Go to www.lowes.com/moving and sign up for the moving coupon. In a couple days they will email you coupon for 10% off your next purchase.

Next time im in Dallas you owe me a beer ;)

So I've got a little bit of Christmas money to burn, around $100. So I was thinking of getting a real gas grill. Right now I've just got a stupidly small portable Colman gas grill (I can cook about 1.5 steaks at a time, or 3 hamburgers).
So I was looking at getting a full size one. However, as those of you in Dallas and the surrounding areas know that most apartment complexes have to have a policy of "no grilling on patios" because of a Dallas city ordnance or something like that. I see lots of neighbors with grills on the patios though. I don't see them using them often, but they definitely wouldn't be able to move them 15 feet from the building if they did.
I think I want this one http://www.lowes.com/pd_296447-4976..._prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1
good reviews, good price, but i'm worried about buying something like that and then having someone complain and the mgmt make me put it away. I REALLY like BBQing though. Back when I lived in house in college we'd BBQ as often as possible.

So any of you in and around Dallas or areas with similar "regulations" have any experience going ahead and BBQing on your patio anyways? Seems that gas is a much safer bet than charcoal, also I've got a fire extinguisher.

Also, any BBQ nuts have opinions on that grill? Seems like a good balance or cheap and useful.

The tanks explode, fire fighters die, that's why they are illegal. I don't know if they cause fires, I mean they do, but the issue lies in explosions.

2003 International Fire Code

308.3.1 Open Flame cooking devices:

Charcoal burners and other open flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies or within 10 feet of combustible construction.

308.3.1.1 Liquefied-petroleum-gas-fueled cooking devices:

LP-gas burners having an LP-gas container with a water capacity greater than 2.5 pounds shall not be located on combustible balconies or within 10 feet of combustible construction.

These laws were written because people died. Just saying.

I'm not questioning the legality of BBQing within 10 feet of a combustible structure/patio.

I was asking for anecdotal advice from persons who have lived in apartments and desired to BBQ on their Apartment balcony, wondering if their apt mgmt told them to pack it up, if their tanks exploded, ect...

Besides, BBQing within 10 feet of your own house has the same implied risk that BBQing within 10 feet of my apartment. Unless your house is brick and your roof is tile. If your deck is wood you are running the same risk as BBQing on an apartment patio.

Besides, BBQing within 10 feet of your own house has the same implied risk that BBQing within 10 feet of my apartment. Unless your house is brick and your roof is tile. If your deck is wood you are running the same risk as BBQing on an apartment patio.

Yes and no.

One and Two family dwellings are excepted by the International Building Code.

Multi-family, i.e apartment buildings are not.

Back