Photos of crushed grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Has anyone posted photos of grain crushed at various grain mill gaps? Looked but didn't find any.

Asking because just got a grain mill and want to know what crushed grain for batch sparging should look like. Plan to mill a half cup pale at .055, .045 and .035. Know .039 is what most people use but want to see how much flour is produced at .035. Hit 75% with grain crushed at a LHBS 30 miles from me. A new LHBS opened 8 miles from my house but only got 54% from the grain crushed there. The new store has their mill set at .055, too wide for good efficiency I think.

.055 is definitely too large a gap to be worthwhile.

My barley crusher is set to .035 and I achieve 82% mash/lauter efficiency consistently in my set up. I use a copper manifold in my tun and stuck sparges are not an issue. If you are concerned then go with the .039 as that is pretty standard and if you want you can add some rice hulls to the mash to eliminate the concern of a stuck sparge:)

.055 is definitely too large a gap to be worthwhile.

My barley crusher is set to .035 and I achieve 82% mash/lauter efficiency consistently in my set up. I use a copper manifold in my tun and stuck sparges are not an issue. If you are concerned then go with the .039 as that is pretty standard and if you want you can add some rice hulls to the mash to eliminate the concern of a stuck sparge:)

agree with above, have my B.C. set at 35-36 and get 84% eff. use S/S braid no stuck sparges. plus does a good job of crushing wheat, I run the wheat thru first, then add to uncrushed grains and run everything.

Back