New and want to get started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertender

Reaction score
I am new to this and want to get started.

Where are the best sites to by a "good" starter kit?
What do I need to start?
What type of beer should I start with?
How long does the process take from boil, to a summer day with home made beer and home made BBQ straight from the smoker?

Please help

You can try Homebrew School. My brother and I started it up. Sign up and let us know if you need any help.

I am new to this and want to get started.

Where are the best sites to by a "good" starter kit?
You can start by finding your local homebrew supply shop and there are plenty of online places. Just get a kit that has a bucket and a carboy (plastic or glass depends on your budget). This way you can figure out what you like most.
What do I need to start?
Start by reading How to Brew by John Palmer
What type of beer should I start with?
Start with an ale that you know you already like.
How long does the process take from boil, to a summer day with home made beer and home made BBQ straight from the smoker?
3 week fermentation, 3 weeks in the bottle is minimum. Some beers take longer, and even those that don't get better with age. There is no need to rush any part of this.

The absolute best thing to know is:
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew

And utilize the search function around here.

Go to the phone book or internet and find a home brew store near you. It helps to talk to a real person.

what you need to start would be a BIG brew kettle something that holds at least 3-4 gallons.
a fermenter: glass carboy, plastic bucket, or better bottle, all are good, clear things are more fun to watch your first time. 5 gallon is big enough, 6 and 6.5 gallon are more conveinent.
stopper/lid with an air lock
3 feet of tubing
bottling bucket w/ spigot
bottling wand
capper
racking cane/auto siphon
cleaner and sanitizer (not the same thing)
its good practice to use a hydrometer, but not necessary if its too over whelming on your first brew, alot of people swear by them, some say they're not important. If you don't use one it might take longer only because you'll have to convincer yourself that its done fermenting.
A secondary glass carboy or better bottle would be nice if you want to do a secondary ferment (for clearing your beer) but it is not necessary.
I would suggest getting a book, or looking for "how to brew" on line
If you go to a store they can hook you up with all you need, and will make sure you're not forgetting anything

what ever beer you like, ales are easier to keep at the right temp.

some will tell you 6 weeks, and thats probably a better time frame, but if you want to taste your first beer as soon as you can (it wont be as good as it will be after 6 weeks) you can do it inside of a month.

Good luck and welcome

Whatever kit you get, I highly suggest going ahead and splurging for an auto-siphon. I would almost promise you that you will not regret this. I got frustrated enough with my first brew that I only ended up racking half of it to the bottling bucket.

And get a PET Better Bottle for fermenting instead of a bucket. Boy, you don't want to miss the show now do ya? :)

Back