Bottle conditioning warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettV

Reaction score
Here's my dilemma. I live in a hot, third floor New York City apartment. I own a 5 cf chest freezer that I use for fermenting/aging. It doesn't hold an awful lot. Right now, I have 40 12-oz bottles that are carbing (about 1.5 weeks in, another 1.5 to go.) I would like to brew tomorrow, but in order to make room for a carboy, the bottles would have to go. It's obviously much more important for my fermenting beer to be stored in there as the ambient temp in my apartment is over 80.

My question is would it hurt my conditioning beer to be pulled out of the cooler for a few weeks and stored in my hot apartment? If that is bad, would it be better to try and find room in my fridge, or would the cold temps basically halt the carbing process?

Just put them in the best place you can and then RDWHAHB. Unless its a lager you should have no issues.

I think you're fine...a few years ago I visited Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown NY...it was the dog days of summer and they were packing just bottled, bottle primed / conditioned ale up to a loft in the building...I was a little surprised...it was hot out and the building was at ambient summer temps.

There are several commercial breweries that actually use hot rooms (75-89 degrees) to bottle condition their beers so they carb up faster, you'll be fine:)

I was wondering about this, it's a constant 23-26ºC(75-79ºF) in my basement and i was concerned it was not the right temp for bottle conditioning.
All of my Fermenting is done at this temp and always works out perfectly.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease as well!

Wow, you ferment at those temps, too? Seems a bit warm (depending on the style,) but if it works for you great. I ferment in a converted chest freezer. Ambient hovers around 60F (15C,) so the beer is always a few degrees warmer, around 63/64F (17C.)

I was wondering about this, it's a constant 23-26ºC(75-79ºF) in my basement and i was concerned it was not the right temp for bottle conditioning.
All of my Fermenting is done at this temp and always works out perfectly.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease as well!

Actually I was confused with the house temp, right now fermentation hovers between 18-23°C which is within the range of the yeasts I use.
I'm still learning and have yet to build a ferm-chamber, so it will have to do for now...

Back