OK opinions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budbo

Beer is good
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am a bit Pissed! I was bidding on a Sabco keggle on Ebay.. When the price hit What Sabco sells them for I said **** it and ordered direct from Sabco.. So now I get an E-mail that the guy bidding against me has retracted.. So I am on the hook to buy this thing after I already bought one from Sabco.. I will honor my bid and buy it ($81.00) But this seems way fishy to me..

The Up side is Hello new kettle to start my transition to the AG side

budbo said:
I am a bit Pissed! I was bidding on a Sabco keggle on Ebay.. When the price hit What Sabco sells them for I said **** it and ordered direct from Sabco.. So now I get an E-mail that the guy bidding against me has retracted.. So I am on the hook to buy this thing after I already bought one from Sabco.. I will honor my bid and buy it ($81.00) But this seems way fishy to me..

You didn't realize that people will bid against you to drive up their price? Can't you retract?

budbo said:

I'd suggest reading eBay's policy. I'm not so sure that you're obligated to buy it after you had been outbid....even if he retracted.

--Aaron

Something's squirrely.... I would definitely contact Ebay... If you were outbid, then the bid was retracted, I think they have to OFFER it to you, but I don't think you're OBLIGATED to buy it... I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised...

Ize

I just checked, and learned, that you would be obligated as the highest bidder. Good thing you didn't go bid on something else and win.

--Aaron

budbo said:
So now I get an E-mail that the guy bidding against me has retracted.. So I am on the hook to buy this thing after I already bought one from Sabco.. I will honor my bid and buy it ($81.00) But this seems way fishy to me..
I'd retract your bid if the auction hasn't ended. Or was it a 'second chance offer' you received? Ebay is full on scammers, both sellers AND buyers. I'm getting increasingly p*ssed off with it too. I've sold a few older cell phones on it recently. After getting the first two 'won' by non paying newbies from Africa wanting my full bank details to pay (Yeah....Right, And you've just found i'm the long lost heir to $40million in Nigeria too?) I had to constantly cancel bids from 'Zero Feedback New Members' on my next listings as i expressly told them in the listing 'LESS THAN 5 FEEDBACK? DO NOT BID - CONTACT ME FIRST':mad:
My rant is over..... Thanks for reading! :D

budbo said:

Yeah, if that dude retracted his bid and was more than yours, you need to contact the seller and tell him you are off the hook.

Worst case you have a HLT now. :rockin:

I was in this situation a couple of years back.

I don't think you are the highest bidder unless you have the highest bid at the time the sale is over. Since you came in second the seller can ask you if you are still interested in purchasing the item for your bid, but I don't think he can make you do anything.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
I don't think you are the highest bidder unless you have the highest bid at the time the sale is over. Since you came in second the seller can ask you if you are still interested in purchasing the item for your bid, but I don't think he can make you do anything.:D
Exactly! It's 'legally binding' as a sale between the buyer and seller at the close of auction. If the first buyer pulls out after the auction has ended then the seller has to take recourse with THEM - not chase you for payment! Did you receive a notification email from ebay that you 'won the item' or was it just a 'second chance offer' ebay email from the seller?

EDIT - Or are you saying the original bidder retracted their bid just before the auction ended leaving you as the highest bidder when it finished?

Here is the deal, I am now the only bidder.. The upside is I get the Keggle for $81 ($99.95 retail from manufacturer.. averages $107+ from HBS's) His shipping is a little lower than Sabco..... He did offer to cancel my bid.. I have decided (see my post in equip) I'm in pretty deep with the SWMBO at least my new mash tun :) I can honestly say "Babe I got screwed on Ebay and had to buy this to maintain my reputation" It pisses me off, but, I will take it as a sign from the Beer Gods that it is time to forsake extract brewing and go the the AG side.

Or are you saying the original bidder retracted their bid just before the auction ended leaving you as the highest bidder when it finished?
that is what happened

I posted this as a rant because there were only 2 bidders, and I was the first one!

budbo said:
Here is the deal, I am now the only bidder.. The upside is I get the Keggle for $81 ($99.95 retail from manufacturer.. averages $107+ from HBS's) His shipping is a little lower than Sabco..... He did offer to cancel my bid.. I have decided (see my post in equip) I'm in pretty deep with the SWMBO at least my new mash tun :) I can honestly say "Babe I got screwed on Ebay and had to buy this to maintain my reputation" It pisses me off, but, I will take it as a sign from the Beer Gods that it is time to forsake extract brewing and go the the AG side.
I posted this as a rant because there were only 2 bidders, and I was the first one!
Too bad my friend! It pays to be careful with your 'maximum bid' and bidding too early. Watch the items first, and look at the items bought and sold by the seller and any other bidders gives a real indication of the picture. Assuming it all ok i usually place my absolute realistic maximum bid in the dying seconds of the auction. If i don't win it then that's just fate. I reckon your first AG might have to be something to appease SWMBO though.....:D

Caplan said:
I reckon your first AG might have to be something to appease SWMBO though.....:D
You are Correct sir, my First brew with the new system will be a kegged batch of an Asahi Extra Dry clone (My Japanese wife's favorite lager)

OK update the seller is actually being very cool about this.. he has offered to let me retract my bid no feedback given.. I have decided to follow the path the HB gods set for me and buy it anyway.. Budbo is now a "real brewer" my next batch will be all grain with my new stuff... I feel like I'm starting to bond with Dude and the other AG guys... Pumbaa will be coming to visit or be shot.

Dunno if you can call yourself a "real brewer" if you're mixing you a batch of Asahi!
Just giving you a hard time. I do like the "it's not my fault, honey...." approach.

The ebay thing kinda gripes me when sellers list shipping to the "continental" U.S. It don't mean Alaska, after all, we ARE on the North American continent. Then they get all bent when you mention that...
After all, on the maps, aren't we an island off the coast of California, right next to Hawaii?

Radarbrew said:
The ebay thing kinda gripes me when sellers list shipping to the "continental" U.S. It don't mean Alaska, after all, we ARE on the North American continent. Then they get all bent when you mention that...
After all, on the maps, aren't we an island off the coast of California, right next to Hawaii?

Late responding to this, but YES! It's so irritating. Contiguous, people! I always hold them to it if they say continental and then try to back out of it because I'm in Alaska (part of year, anyway).

I have only bought one thing from Ebay, but I had a good experience. Though I watch often and it's just amazing that people keep bidding on things when they have clearly went over what the iteam would cost. Like having a min starting bid at the cost of the iteam..... kinda takes away what I thought Ebay was for....

One thing I've learned about e-bay is that almost nothing is rare: if item x is up for auction today, that probably means there'll be at least one item x up for auction at any given time.

I try to watch item x several times and get a feel for what it goes for, what the demand is, etc.

I usually wait for the last 24 hours to bid: I think sellers can retract for pretty-much any reason up until then.

I have very positive experiences buying on e-bay.

Latest posts

Back