Grain bill screw up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortlover

Reaction score
Here is my dilemma. I called in an order for grain @ my LHBS. I ordered the following grain:

7.25# Pils
.5# Carafoam
3.5# Dark Munich
.5# American Chocolat(should be .2#)
.5# Carafa III(should be .2#)

I assumed that they would individually pkg each grain separately. I was going to weigh out the right amounts of Choc malt and Carafa. This is was picked up by a friend. When I got grain it was put into one big bag all together! This grain is for brian williams' "Death by Dunkel". I brewed this and loved it. How will an extra .3# of each of these grains influence the next batch?

AG - chainsaw brewing "death by dunkel"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: wyeast 2565 kolsh
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.008
IBU: 33.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 19.65
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7@70*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14@70*

death by dunkel chainsaw brewing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

General
Category: Dark Lager
Subcategory: Munich Dunkel
Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5 gal.
Volume Boiled: 6 gal.
Mash Efficiency: 70 %
Total Grain/Extract: 11.65 lbs.
Total Hops: 2.3 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.): 219.1
Cost to Brew: $26.85 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.): $0.50 (USD)

Ingredients
7.25 lbs. German 2-row Pils
.5 lbs. Weyermann CaraFoam®
3.5 lbs. German Dark Munich
.20 lbs. American Chocolate Malt
.20 lbs. Weyermann Carafa III®
1.5 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
.5 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
.25 oz. Tettnanger (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 5 minutes.
Yeast: WYeast 2565 Kolsch

mash in at 165* for 60minutes. batch sparge with 170* water.

enjoy!

well, the american chocolate and carafa will make it pretty dark even at .2lbs, but I personally never add more than 1/2 a pound of either of those grains to my dark beers, in my opinion they both contribute a somewhat burnt or roasty flavor if you use to much of them. seeing as how you can't pull them out, you may as well just brew with it and see what happens, if it is to roasty you can always brew up another batch without any carafa or chocolate in it and mix the two.

I liked the recipe so much, I though about purchasing more grain, enough for two batches, less the Chocolat malt and Carafa. I would mix it all up and vacuum pack 1/2 of it for a future batch. I wonder how long milled grains vacuumed packed will stay usable.

Or you could just make a 10 gal batch, equipment permitting. Just do like you said double everything except the specialty grains. it would still be a little off but un noticeable.

Even at that, I am an advocate of trying new things.. run it through beer smith or something and see how it looks.. if it looks good make it and maybe it will be even better!?

dang, now I want to try this batch.. I need a good dunkel...

You should be able to pick out .3 LBS fairly easily as they are both dark and look different from each other. If you don't like to do that then just add more of the other grains and do a double batch. Maybe their scale only measures to the half pound?

There is not much else you can do. They should never lump the grains all in 1 bag when dark roasted grains are used in a recipe. It's just too easy to get too much in there.

I'd say you have a big, malty porter going. I don't think those levels will ruin the batch, even though it will be darker and more roasty than you intended.

Back