Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeb53

Reaction score
Question I made my first brew laast Monday, Feb. 18th. The bubbles stopped on Wednesday. My question si this. I can bottle now but can I wait untill the weekend or do you need to bottle right away. Thanks for any help you can offer.

wait at least 2 weeks prior to bottling. Your fermentation may not be finished, even though bubbles have stopped.

Yeah, hold off for at least two weeks, just to be safe. Also, if you have a hydrometer, take a reading at that point to see if you've reached your anticipated FG.

I ferment for 3 weeks and your looking at a week and some change, not long enough. Take a hydrometer reading, if your gravity is right then you can bottle. Was it an extract kit, the instructions should tell you the final gravity you should hit, you dont want bottle bombs. You seem to be worrying, your beer is not going to ruin if you leave it in the fermenter for a while, have patience and take that reading.

You can keep the beer in the primary fermenter for up to a month with no problem. So bottling this weekend would be no problem at all.

Longer is better, up to about a month or so. Most people don't bottle until 3 weeks. Too much longer than a month and you risk nastiness.

Back