Source for information on why beer can't be harmful

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
I know that nothing can grow in homebrew beer that can cause serious health concerns, but my dad( after seeing a picture of the pellicle on my flanders) wants to know why. I told it has to do with pH/abv/etc. but I was looking for an online credible source stating the " how and why " homebrew is not ever toxic. I did some searching but google is not turning up anything credible/explaining, I'm sure I'm just searching with the wrong words, any help?

This is just an abstract, but it should make the point:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=14623377&dopt=AbstractPlus

Hop compounds, mainly iso-alpha-acids in beer, have antibacterial activity against Gram-positive bacteria. They act as ionophores which dissipate the pH gradient across the cytoplasmic membrane and reduce the proton motive force (pmf). Consequently, the pmf-dependent nutrient uptake is hampered, resulting in cell death.

Remember, though, the AA% on lots of hops for those sour beers that Landhoney loves is pretty close to 0%. I'm pretty sure there's another element to the hops that adds preservative qualities.

No technical information to provide, though, sorry!

the_bird said:
Remember, though, the AA% on lots of hops for those sour beers that Landhoney loves is pretty close to 0%. I'm pretty sure there's another element to the hops that adds preservative qualities.

I thought for sure you'd know bird! Yeah, I don't think the hops are it - after reading that article it seems they were talking about beer spoiling(flavor,etc.) organisms - not organisms that could cause health concerns. The search continues, thanks for the info though mrk.

It certainly has been discussed enough that "no known human pathogens can exist in beer," but how they came to that conclusion (other than LOTS of trial and error.... ;)), I don't know...

the_bird said:

I was just thinking about that. Very good point. Let me see what else I can find....

Without a specific reference, I'll say that wort, especially low-hopped wort, does make a perfect medium for any microorganism to grow, not just Lactobacillus spp. and Pedicoccus spp and brewer's yeasts. That is, should you happen to be cooking some bugers and some ground meat falls into your fermenter before you pitch, you better believe that fermenter would be flooding with E. coli if you let it sit.

When you brew an all-bacto sour beer under sanitary conditions, the pitching rate of your "good" bacteria (and I use that term "good" lightly ;) ) significantly outweighs potential contamination from other nasties. If you assume that any potential bacteria in the wort, good or bad, have a similar doubling rate, then over a given period of time you will have many, many orders of magnitude more Lactobacillus or Pedicoccus cells than whatever the harmful microorganisms are. As the fixed number of nutrients are used up at a greater rate by the "good" bacteria, their numbers increase more rapidly, inhibiting the growth of the others, as does the alcohol content in the beer, also inhibiting pathogenic growth.

I wouldn't say homebrew is "not ever" toxic, but under sanitary conditions and proper pitching rates it shouldn't be.

But I'll keep looking for an article....unless four years of biology/microbiology/biochemistry lectures, labs, and research is a credible enough source for your father ;).

Because God makes things that are good for you taste good.

Honey can't spoil-natural resistance.

Just tell him it's because of 'FM'---F***ing Magic!

orfy said:

I read that staff detail page orfy, I didn't see anything to factually prove harmful organisms can't grow in beer.

Also, I'm not just talking about sour beers, the mantra I've heard is that ANY homebrew can't make you sick because Staff/Salmonilla/e.coli/etc. etc. can't grown in beer. Why is that?

mrk, I'd be happy to trust. So what you're saying is that once alcohol is produced it will kill the e.coli(or whatever)? That makes sense and seems reasonable. So, if your beer has over 1% ABV it has to be safe? Or something along those lines?

It's somewhat paradoxical that something one could see would trigger your father's reaction. The stuff we're ultimately talking about is invisible to the eye.

People love sausage but might not if they saw the process.

Still it's a good question.

Ranks right up there with:
* Why drying/salting/ smoking meat works.
* Cooling fish with lemon juice.
* and so on.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_alcohol_beer

Small beerhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_alcohol_beer#_note-5(also, small ale) is a beer/ale that contains very little alcohol. Sometimes unfiltered and porridge-like, it was a favoured drink in Medieval Europe and colonial North America where George Washington had a recipe involving bran and molasses.[8] It was sometimes had with breakfast, as attested in Benjamin Franklin's autobiography. Before public sanitation, cholera and other water-transmitted diseases were a significant cause of death. Because alcohol is toxic to most water-borne pathogens, and because the process of brewing any beer from malt involves boiling the water, which also kills them, drinking small beer instead of water was one way to escape infection. Small beer was also produced in households for consumption by children and servants.

landhoney said:
I read that staff detail page orfy, I didn't see anything to factually prove harmful organisms can't grow in beer.

Also, I'm not just talking about sour beers, the mantra I've heard is that ANY homebrew can't make you sick because Staff/Salmonilla/e.coli/etc. etc. can't grown in beer. Why is that?

mrk, I'd be happy to trust. So what you're saying is that once alcohol is produced it will kill the e.coli(or whatever)? That makes sense and seems reasonable. So, if your beer has over 1% ABV it has to be safe? Or something along those lines?

Yeh, the page was just to show the guy is doing work in the field and I though it may be a pointer on where to look further.

mrk has summed it up pretty well.

A 1% ethanol solution will not be antimicrobial by itsself.
The antimicrobial effects of a brewing beer that has reached 1%ABV will largely be due to the fact that there are millions of yeast cells competing for nutrients, and not due to the alcohol content. I think you need to be up above 20% ethanol to be an effective antimicrobial agent without competing microorganisms, but I too am relying on past education and not a textbook.

Henry Hill said:
Honey can't spoil-natural resistance.

Be careful, there. There is nothing antibiotic about honey. It's just that the water activity is too low in honey for anything to survive. If you start getting sugar crystals in your honey, the concentration of water can increase to the point where it can spoil (and that includes lovely stuff like botulism).

Henry Hill said:
Just tell him it's because of 'FM'---F***ing Magic!

Now, there's the perfect answer! :mug:

TL

landhoney said:

Not quite. Facultative anaerobes (like yeast, lacto, Staphylococcus, Salmonella, Listeria, etc) will survive in the presence of alcohol, as they produce it under anaerobic conditions (fermentation). But, their survival is a struggle, as the alcohol produced is toxic to their cells as it is to ours at certain concentrations. Unfortunately, those concentrations are greater than what you'll have in your beer. Similarly, the toxins that are produced by these microbes are more often the cause of the "toxicity" than the actual microbes themselves. So if you had, say, Clostridium botulinum growing in your wort prior to pitching, and then you pitched your yeast/lacto/etc, the botulinum toxin would still be there even if the bacteria that produce it were dead/filtered/killed by increase in alcohol. They wouldn't be producing more toxin, but it wouldn't magically be going away.

What I'm saying is that under sanitary brewing conditions, there is no reason that any of those nasty microorganism should exist in the wort to begin with, and even if they did, they would be so outnumbered by the exponential growth of the "good" bacteria/yeast that the effect they might have on your beer would be negligible.

Lets put some numbers to it. Say you have 100 cells of Salmonella in your wort, prior to pitching 100 billion cells of Lactobacillus. And lets also say that they both have the same doubling rate of 1hr, and that you only have enough nutrient present to support 8 hours of fermentation, and that there are no hops present to inhibit the growth of bacteria. The growth would be such that:

Time, # Salmonella, # Lacto
1hr, 200 Cells, 2E9 cells
2hr, 400 Cells, 4E9 cells
3hr, 800 Cells, 8E9 cells
4hr, 1600 Cells, 1.6E10 cells
5hr, 3200 Cells, 3.2E10 cells
6hr, 6400 Cells, 6.4E10 cells
8hr, 25600 Cells, 2.56E11 cells

At 8hr, the nutrients would be used up, and the concentration of alcohol increases (inhibiting the bacteria that aren't capable of fermentation), both causing growth to level off. The number of lacto will have used the nutrients up at a much, much greater rate than that of Salmonella. Granted, as I said before, the toxins produced by the Salmonella may still be present in the wort (if they don't react with other compounds present and render themselves inert), however the amount is negligible as a result of their limited cell growth. This is one reason why it's so important to pitch a good, healthy growth.

If you were not sanitary in the brewhouse, and you did have a human pathogen present in a greater quantity...enough that it would actively compete with the pitching rate of your fermentation microbe, then yeah, you better believe that beer would be toxic. But we're sanitation nazis, so that's not an issue for us.

So to answer your father's question, because we use sanitary brewing equipment, and inoculate the media at a rate that outweighs any potential human pathogens by so many orders of magnitude, and (in hopped homebrews) because the presence of trans-humulone, (-)-humulone and colupulone are ionophores and thus inhibitory to bacteria, the environment is simply not favorable for the survival of human pathogens.

I hope that all made sense...sometimes I geek out a little bit much.

I think you may have missed the thread where Landhoney left his wort, covered only with a cheesecloth, in an apple orchard to achieve spontaneous fermentation... ;)

the_bird said:
I think you may have missed the thread where Landhoney left his wort, covered only with a cheesecloth, in an apple orchard to achieve spontaneous fermentation... ;)

So long as it was covered with cheesecloth and not a steak I think his beer probably turned out OK :)

If it makes your dad feel any better, let him know that there are dozens, if not hundreds of experienced fellow homebrewers who would LOVE to sample a bottle of this creation when it's ready.

mrkristofo said:
So long as it was covered with cheesecloth and not a steak I think his beer probably turned out OK :)

Thanks guys.
-Fenster, thank you for that info
-orfy: thanks for the info, didn't realize what your were linking to
-olllllo, also thank you -good info as well as interesting/educational
-mrkristofo, thank you for the very scientific info. I read the whole post you spent valuable time writing. I appreciate you taking the time to write a very informative answer to the "how and why".
-the_bird, thank you for post whoring - you're an inspiration to us all ;) But seriously you did bring up some good points that needed addressing.
-Did I miss anybody? Thank you too

Hopefully now we'll all have a decent answer to why we can provide homebrew to friends and family without fear of killing them, other than just to say," It just safe, I've heard it a million times."

Back