Craft beer has officialy died

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My kind of celebrity hooch....

mansinthe.jpg

/I don't even listen to Manson's music, but I likes me some good absinthe.

1997 wasn't exactly a banner year for musical creativity. The #1 song was Elton John remaking his own song Candle In The Wind.

Well, I must have remembered 1997 incorrectly, because some of the most creative albums of the last twenty-five years were released that year:

OK Computer
Brown Album
Carnival of Chaos
The Mollusk
Transistor
Wu-Tang Forever

Anyway, points go to them for donating the proceeds to tornado relief, and points go to making beer in Oklahoma. After I heard the Backstreet Boys, NSync, and every other damn boy band come out of the same studio, on the same label, from the same Orlando, in the same Florida, in the same year, my disdain for Hanson died quickly. Then again, I listen to Primus, so my opinion doesn't matter.

andvari7 said:
Well, I must have remembered 1997 incorrectly, because some of the most creative albums of the last twenty-five years were released that year:

OK Computer
Brown Album
Carnival of Chaos
The Mollusk
Transistor
Wu-Tang Forever

Anyway, points go to them for donating the proceeds to tornado relief, and points go to making beer in Oklahoma. After I heard the Backstreet Boys, NSync, and every other damn boy band come out of the same studio, on the same label, from the same Orlando, in the same Florida, in the same year, my disdain for Hanson died quickly. Then again, I listen to Primus, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Primus sucks

Just saw them live in May. Best show ever!

I think it is awesome that they made a beer. Oklahoma is a waste land for booze. Plus them donating the proceeds and being from Oklahoma. The marketing sucks, but what would you expect.

McBrewskie said:
I think it is awesome that they made a beer. Oklahoma is a waste land for booze. Plus them donating the proceeds and being from Oklahoma. The marketing sucks, but what would you expect.

I'll second the wasteland part. I've considered making a 2 hour trip to Missouri for a beer run.
Believe it, or not; The Hanson boys have become decent musicians over the years. They're not my favorite, by far, but they're not as bad as some so-called superstars today (I hate auto tuned, no talent, can't even write their own music celebrities). I haven't tried their beer yet, but it may be decent. If not, it'll go onto my obscure beer shelf with my can of Billy beer.

Ok clever marketing got me to buy this.. And no, it wasn't good beer at all. But since I hate Hansen from back in the day... I would never buy there's.

View attachment 133373

Disclaimer: I don't like bitter beers. I seldom find an IPA that I care anything for, and even most pale ales are slated more to the bitter side than I care for.

I picked up a bottle of the Monty Python ale, for grins more than anything else. I actually liked the beer.

Of course, it's a pale, and I liked it, so that may mean that it's terrible. Your mileage may vary.

I didn't have to read any more than the title to know what this thread would be about...

I haven't seen any in stores, and I'm not sure I would buy it if I did, but I at least give them credit for the charity effort.

MaddBaggins said:
Primus sucks

Just saw them live in May. Best show ever!

Saw the 3d show last Halloween. Got a little out of hand! Best and craziest show I've ever seen!!!

Well, they could have come out with a light lager or a fruity beer, but they chose a hoppy ale. That speaks well for their character.

My stepdaughter was OBSESSED with the Hanson's when she was in JH - she is thoroughly embarrassed by this fact to this day. She has recently been getting more and more into craft beer and trying lots of different styles.......

Guess what someone is getting for a present:)

The truth is Mmm bop was actually a well-crafted pop song. Obviously, they were not poets, but the music itself is catchy and has substance. And their more recent music is pretty good pop music as well.

Most people that hate Hanson fit into one of three categories. 1) people that just don't like Pop music no matter how good it is; and 2) people that pay attention to lyrics more than the music they are set to; 3) people that heard Mmm bop 67 billion times and just got really tired of hearing it all the time.

Yes, that is a broad generalization. And in general, I hate generalizations. But force any trained musician to really listen to Mmm bop and they'll tell you it's a well-written pop song. It is just true.

The beer? Chances are it isn't that good. And if it is decent, most likely it still isn't anything all that interesting or exciting. But what the hell, it's for charity, right?

I'll give it a try if I see it. I'll admit I'm a bit tired, even now of hearing that song as popular as it was, but it was a catchy tune. That being said, I don't konw what musical ability has to do with making good beer. Hell, I can barely play 4 chords on the guitar and I can't sing for crap, but I think I brew pretty decent beer most of the time.

In response to the comment about "..that tornado.." it was more like 2 weeks of tornadoes. Happens every year it seems, but to go and criticize someone's efforts to help out their home state just shows how weak some people are. Yeah hanson, what a bunch of pu$$ies, that song sucks, someone needs shot....They've done more than pretty much anyone on this board. a lot of you guys are just brewing up haterade because some girly looking boys from podunk oklahoma, accomplished more than you ever will, by the time some of them got their 1st pube. Yeah, i don't care to hear the most over played song ever-ever (again), but they're doing something positive. Everything else is just jealousy because they are doing what you WISH you could. hating on them isn't going to make you better...

Oklahoma is not a beer wasteland...sometimes, HBT is a time-wasteland though....glad everyone is comfortable in their hometowns....how would you feel if you made a large donation to help rebuild your home-state after a serious string of natural disasters and people started criticizing you for something you did 15 years ago? (that actually ended up making you millions...) I get it, you guys all have music careers in heavy metal and brew professionally on a level never before seen.......by Hanson.....:fro:

In response to the comment about "..that tornado.." it was more like 2 weeks of tornadoes. Happens every year it seems, but to go and criticize someone's efforts to help out their home state just shows how weak some people are. Yeah hanson, what a bunch of pu$$ies, that song sucks, someone needs shot....They've done more than pretty much anyone on this board. a lot of you guys are just brewing up haterade because some girly looking boys from podunk oklahoma, accomplished more than you ever will, by the time some of them got their 1st pube. Yeah, i don't care to hear the most over played song ever-ever (again), but they're doing something positive. Everything else is just jealousy because they are doing what you WISH you could. hating on them isn't going to make you better...

Oklahoma is not a beer wasteland...sometimes, HBT is a time-wasteland though....glad everyone is comfortable in their hometowns....how would you feel if you made a large donation to help rebuild your home-state after a serious string of natural disasters and people started criticizing you for something you did 15 years ago? (that actually ended up making you millions...) I get it, you guys all have music careers in heavy metal and brew professionally on a level never before seen.......by Hanson.....:fro:

That's a well crafted rant. I give it 7/10. :mug:

#1 is completely wrong. I heard about this beer somewhere around 2 years ago (or quite awhile ago, anyways). It was in no way developed for the need to raise money for charity related to that Oklahoma tornado.

I wrote this post. A few people seemed to think I was disparaging the group and minimizing their contribution. Not so. I was merely pointing out that this has actually been in the works for at least a couple years.

That they've decided to use profits to help charity is commendable. I'd certainly try it if I saw it on a shelf. I guess because Hanson is usually mocked that it's easy to assign a negative tone to a post like that, but it really wasn't the case. RDWHAHB.

(And by "that tornado" I was referring to the devastating, record-breaking EF-5 that hit OKC)

Being from utah if I saw an oddity like this I'd buy it in a heartbeat, I've tried a lot of crappy beers in my short time most of which over priced. What's one more to the list? I won't rant as many already have. I'm sure it's not the best "hoppy" beer I've ever tired, but its the only beer I can think of that I've had that is for a good cause. When some one has a beer sharing the same shelf space as this one then we can compare apples to apples... But for now until I can get what you make lets judge the beer on the beer... No one has posted any feed back or notes from ACTUALLY tasting it. Who cares they wrote a ****ty song, speaking from experience I've brewed a few ****ty beers ... Doesn't make me a bad brewer.

Well I guess that is a rant. Haha if everlast brewed a beer I'm sure I wouldn't judge the beer before I gave it a chance.

Don't sugar coat it that way, Kid, give it to 'em straight!

Back