Moving to Electric and Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tfire136

Reaction score
Whats up everyone!

I have been AG brewing for about a year now and would love to transfer away from the electric stove and propane burner into a nice electric HERMS setup. I have been doing a ton of reading and have hit information overload lol. I am only interested in doing 3g and 5g batches. My current equipment consists of an 11g and a 9g Bayou Classic stainless pot and a 10 gallon round cooler (the Home Depot one). I am hoping to create a simple setup where I can control my MLT and HLT (through the use of a PID). I was checking out Kal's electric brewery and was able to follow along until I seen the control panel. I love his setup and would like to set up my kettles in a similar fashion. The big problem is that I know next to nothing about electricity. If I can, I would like to use 2, 2000W 120v elements. I do understand that I will need to split the power up between 2, 20 amp circuits (my home was built in 1998 so I assume the kitchen has 2 circuits). I just placed an order for a March pump and would like to keep the build within the 5-600$ range (money is not the issue, just my knowledge of hooking all this stuff up lol). I would appreciate any information people may have. It would also be helpful if someone knows of a similar type of build and could point me in the right direction. I am sure this is the first of many questions, but appreciate the help in advance!

Top for the afternoon crowd :) I have been playing with my equipment, and my initial thoughts are to use the cooler as a HLT with an element and HERMS coil installed, use the 11g pot as the MLT and the 9g as a boil kettle (I may just stick with propane for the boil). My big problem is I don't really know what I need to put together to get the HLT and MLT up an running.

Back