CPVC Manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mparmer

Reaction score
I"m about to build my lauter manifold from cpvc in a rectangular cooler as per Palmers design recommendations. I've read posts that say not to glue the pieces together in order to be able to take them apart and clean them easier, but what about when you mash in the same cooler? Doesn't the stirring of the grains while doughing in risk knocking the pieces apart down there in the bottom of the tun? Seems to me to be a major problem if the manifold came apart during mashing or lautering. Thanks for your comments.

I have the same, and the pieces hold together fine. I wouldn't go crazy stirring and whack them with the paddle, but no need to glue.

When I used mine the pieces fit together very tightly and you could stir without fear of them falling apart.

Mine has never came apart. I am mindful of it when digging around the bottom though.

Properly manufactured cpvc pipe and fittings are required to have a pretty tight dry fit. Your manifold won't come apart particulary easy by normal stirring. If you want, you can glue only certain parts so that it comes apart in sections that can easily be cleaned and rinsed.

Mine came apart once during dough-in, and I worried about it enough thereafter to switch to a braid after a few more batches. I had put about 20 batches on it, and I guess heating/cooling cycles together with assembly/disassembly had worn out the fittings enough that they were loose. It came apart between the tee fitting and the bulkhead.

It will ruin you brew day to have to reassemble your manifold at the bottom of 150+ degree mash.

That said, it worked fine for well over a year.

Back