Those who use oxygen canisters to aerate...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I generally do it before I add the yeast. Depending on how well you can control the injection rate you can create a lot of foam that rapidly runs up the neck of a carboy. I'd rather not be blowing the yeast out of the fermentor.

I inject for about 60 seconds or so. If there is a lot of foam I give it a couple minutes to settle, then I pitch the yeast and swirl the carboy to mix them in.

In the big scheme of things, I am not sure it matters, however, if your stone is making a lot of foam you may want to dial back the pressure anyway. Any o2 that bubbles to the surface isnt going into solution, and is therefore wasted.

Usually I aerate for a minute or two right at the end of my chill when I am getting impatient with my immersion chiller. Then I fill the carboy and pitch the yeast once I get to the correct temp (usually a couple hours later in the summer).

Back