oh no! Banana IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewN00b

Reaction score
so three days ago i pitched a nice hoppy ipa, put the fermenter in an area with steady temps, as the garage has recently been cold as hell. i check temps this morning and it was almost 80f, and sure enough I cracked it open and got hit full on with a banana attack.

So, I swamp coolered it before work. the question is this, even if I bring the temps down, will the yeast be able to clarify those esters? Or will the banana flavor remain. Thankfully it was only two full days not the full fermentation period.

Pardon my grammar, but windows mobile isnt brewtalk friendly.

Your fermentation isn't done yet. If you let the yeast do their thing in a much more stable temp (maybe 62-65F) then they'll start to clean it up. Also, if you let a beer sit for a couple of weeks after it's finished the yeast will start to clean up some of the off flavors in your beer. I'd let it sit for about a month at around 65F and I'm sure you'll have a great beer. Plus carbonation and temperature will change the perception of the profile of the beer. :mug:

Another thing I have noticed with the banana esters: they smell a lot more than they taste. The aroma tends to go away pretty fast after you first open it, too.

I called my roommate and my field expedient swamp cooler brought it down to 66f, so i imagine i need to bring it down to 60f ambient to account for internal temp differences, correct? Ill dump some ice in there after work. Correct brew temps in San Diego is hard.

Ya i know what you mean about the temp in San Diego! i live in Otay Ranch and it fluctuates all the time! what LHBS do you use?

:drunk: please don't add ice directly to your wort/beer. Too much of a rish in my opinion. If you need to, put the fermenter in a larger container that's filled with ~60 degree water

Oh no, I was going to throw ice in the swamp cooler until i can freeze some two litre bottles.

Ya i know what you mean about the temp in San Diego! i live in Otay Ranch and it fluctuates all the time! what LHBS do you use?

I get most things online from midwestsupplies.com or highgravity.com as the local shops are WAY WAY WAY more expensive. However, if I need it now I will go to homebrew mart right next to Ballast Point Brewery.

Anh local clubs I can join?

I've searched for some clubs around town, but it seems that the only good ones are way up north in Escondido, and i'm not about to drive up there! that club is called Maltos Falcons or something, if you feel like taking a drive on the weekends there is a kick ass LHBS in Oceanside called Hydrobrew, they have reasonable prices and they are very friendly, not sure if your brewing extract or all-grain but they give a free class once a month on how to brew all-grain, i'm stepping up to that level next weekend!!

Back