Really Confused! Please Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lafolielapper

Reaction score
so I am contemplating making the leap into electric brewing since I intend to move to MN here in a few months, and with electric, my brewing season doesn't need to be limited by the typical Minnesota winter weather.

With that said, I am very confused. Everyone says to use a GFCI breaker when going electric, but when I am researching, I am confused what items I need to actually be able to use my setup with a GFCI circuit.

My plan is to use this controller (http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/Electric-Kettle-Controller-306p3084.htm) Don't hate, I'd rather spend the money and have it done right then have a cheapo DIY PWM type setup that I might just screw up anyway. I will also use this element (http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/Heating-Element-5500-Watt-SS-306p2669.htm).

My confusion comes from the fact that with the controller, I have the choice of a 3 or 4 wire model for the controller, and since everyone says I'd be stupid not to use GFCI when doing e-brewing, then I obviously must use the 4 wire version. However, the element only comes in a 3 prong variant. I am confused...if the heater is only 3 prong, but the controller is a 4-wire setup, and connected to a GFCI breaker, am I still protected?

Also, since I plan on having my dad (electrician) put the 220V 30A drop in the garage, I assume that this can only be the 4-prong outlet or else it would not be truly GFCI protected? Damn I'm dumb.

4 prongs allows you to break up the two lines into separate 120 lines to allow you to use the outlet on the box for your pump.

Where are you moving to in MN? I'm currently working on an electric build as well.

I won't be using a pump...I use a gravity fed CFC. Unfortunately, I am still confused. The control box does not have a separate outlet for a pump...just one that is tied into the control dial. On the website, it specifically states that in order to hook up the controller to a CFCI circuit, it must have 4 wires. So is this or is this not true.

BTW, I plan on moving to Duluth in 2-3 months. It's where I am from originally, although I did attend school on Burnsville, Lakeville, Northfield, and Hastings before shipping out with the Army and landing here in Colorado for the last 8 years.

Back